Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50v2 WiFi Analytics /performance question

PaceCarGuy
Aspirant

ORBI RBR50v2 WiFi Analytics /performance question

Hello, excuse me if this has been asked before, I scanned the site but did not see anything listed to address this specificially.  

To start, my Orbi router and Satellite are working great!  I am using a 200Mb DSL Fiber Service, and getting 225-235Mb download speed and 220-225Mb Upload speeds from both wired and WiFi connections.  

I am new to Orbi, and this is replacing an old Luma WiFi mesh network I had in place.  

But using Netgear WiFi Analytics, from an Android Phone, with the phone saying it is connected to 5G, in any point in the house it reports signal strength of 100% at 433Mbps.  

I guess I should be happy, but oddly enough, when I had my Luma Mesh up, Netgear Analytics was reporting 100% at 866Mbps?  

The specs for this model Orbi states that it can deliver "Up to 866 Mbps for newer devices that support 5 GHz and 802.11 ac".

When I login to the Orbi router, on the advanced screen for Wireless I see :

WIRELESS SETTINGS (GENERAL)
RegionNorth America

2.4G ChannelAuto ( 6 )

2.4G ModeUp to 400 Mbps

5G Channel36+40+44+48(P)

5G ModeUp to 866.7 Mbps

So, am I good?  Is it just the Analytics tool not reporting correctly for some reason or does something need to be tweaked?  

I am running the following software versions :

- Android app 2.4.12.869

- Orbi Firmware v2.3.5.30

I did notice there is a newer version of the firmware available, but my device does not recognize any new updates available and I have seen some posts noting it causes performance problems.  

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR50v2 WiFi Analytics /performance question

Interesting app, thanks for mentioning it.  I sat six feet from the RBR50 and hit "Test".  Came up with 650mb.  Said, "what the???"  Tested again and got 866.  App whined about not being designed for my version of Android (9).

Another way to check connection rate is from the Orbi side using the Orbi "app".  Select a device and it brings up information about the device, including what Orbi thinks the "link rate" is.

How far apart are the Orbi router and satelite?  If they are too close together, they could be causing interference.

Message 2 of 6
PaceCarGuy
Aspirant

I am also running Android 9.  My router is on the main floor on the left side of the house and the Satellite is on the second floor on the right side of the house, about 30-35' apart.  I don't think this is too far apart since they have never dropped connection and always report 100% signal, but only at 433Mbps.  Unless this indicates that adding a 3rd Satellite would improve that ?

If I use the Orbi Android app, and select various wifi attached devices they do list link rates, my phone is at 433Mbps, but I have found several of my devices up to 780Mbps, so I guess I am getting more thruput.  

Thanks for the info.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 4 of 6
PaceCarGuy
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions.  Default channel setting were Auto for 2.4G and 48 for 5G.  Analytics showed channel 1 and 6 each had 1 or 2 active networks, 11 had 4.  I tested all, no performance changes noticable but I did keep the setting on channel 6.

For 5G I kept that on 48 since it was recommended and had 1 network active.

I enabled/disabled all the items you noted.  After a reboot I retested.  I know it will not be consistent, but It did appear that I am getting slightly better speeds, 237Mbps down and 219 up, but I will keep randomly checking over the next few days.  

Unfortunately, none of these changes had any affect on my original question about the Orbi app and only having Analytics report only 100% at 433 Mbps (vs 866) in each room.  Same findings.  Must be something with the phone Orbi app, I do see several devices like a PC reporting 750 when I drill down on the attached device screen.

Thanks for help, at least now I should have a tuned Orbi!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

For additional Orb app help and information, Please post about this in the Orbi app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Good Luck,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7