Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR53 Bad Router RBR 50

Panda51
Aspirant

ORBI RBR53 Bad Router RBR 50

Lightening strike hit router. Router was sending out wireless, but could not connect to internet, now wireless SSID does not show up on wireless network connections and ethernet cable shows no lights at port on modem.  Old router hooked back up to modem and ISP and working fine.

Can I replace the old RBR 50 with new RBR50 and connect to satelittes that came with old router?

How many satelittes can attach to an RBR 50?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR53 Bad Router RBR 50

Yes you can use the RBS to connect to the new RBR. If you set up the new RBR with the same SSID and PW as the old RBR, then the RBS should reconnect with out having to re-sync...however if they don't, a re-sync maybe needed.

Users have reported up to having 6 RBS connected. I think 3 or 4 is officially supported by NG. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can use the RBS to connect to the new RBR. If you set up the new RBR with the same SSID and PW as the old RBR, then the RBS should reconnect with out having to re-sync...however if they don't, a re-sync maybe needed.

Users have reported up to having 6 RBS connected. I think 3 or 4 is officially supported by NG. 

Message 2 of 6
Panda51
Aspirant

Great thanks Furrye38, I will get a new RBR 50 and then give it a try and let you know.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
Panda51
Aspirant

Furrye38,

Thanks for the input. I now have a RBR50 supporting 4 satelittes in my home. All synched in and system is working fine.  Setup was and is always a little tricky as I believe the firmware for set up  an din general in RBR 50 is bit fragile and each set up step needs to be done slowly and methodically .  Example I did a firmware upgrade 3 times same way. Reason for 3 times... some times the upgrade aborted and then systyem showed the old version number in IPAD app.  The 4th time upgrade worked and version number was correct.  Many other examples of firmware functions that don't work consistently.

But, I am back up and running smoothly.  Now gotta get much better protection against lightening !!!

Panda 51

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya FW updates on Orbi can be tricky. Glad you got your system back up and running. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7