Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBS50 (RBK50) Firmware upgrade - MAC TFTP -New Purchase not working

Gregstar
Tutor

ORBI RBS50 (RBK50) Firmware upgrade - MAC TFTP -New Purchase not working

NB my model number is not listed - but it seems closest to the one above

I have purchsed this Orbi RBK50 Mesh Wifi System https://netgearstore.sg/collections/orbi-wifi-mesh-system/products/netgearorbi-rbk50-mesh-wifi-syste...

AC3000 1 router - 1 Satellite

According to the Orbi app from page the firmware version is V2.4.25.961

Unused fresh out of the box the router cannot find the satellite - after waiting for 1 hour on the support line they told me your firmware is corrupted ...

"You should follow the steps here (https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client) to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP client."

The steps are:

1. Download and save the router’s firmware onto the desktop of your computer. Make sure to extract the file from the zip folder. The firmware file format is either a .img or .chk file.
  2. Download and install the Tftpd64 software from: TFTP Client
    For Mac users, a free client can be downloaded here: Mac TFTP Client
  3. Connect a PC wired to the router and set it to have a static IP address (example 192.168.1.10). 
    For Mac users, go to Beginner: How To Set Up A Static IP in Mac OS X and proceed to step 5.

Gregstar>> Static IP set up on ethernet.

I have set my Mac to the static IP address as suggested and I have the MAC TFTP Client with the Address 192.168.1.1 and download and set the file RBS50-V1.5.1.16.img to send. Reading on to the instructions

5. Unplug all port connections from router except this PC.

Gregstar>>> the only connection is an ethernet cable connecting the laptop to one of the LAN ports in the router.

6. Turn router OFF for 10 seconds and then turn it back ON

Gregstar>> comply

7. Watch the Power LED. It will start with an orange color and then start flashing.  ??

Gregstar >> the LED starts orange and goes to green - What does this mean?

8. Press PUT button on the Tftpd64 utility to perform the firmware upload.

Gregstar >> on the recommended Mac TFTP client the button is start (not PUT)

9. You should see a pop up saying that “0 block retransmitted”.  If not, you may need to repeat above.

Gregstar>> in the dialog the "sent Block 0 of 46,337"

I then get " An error of type 65 occured".

Then I sat for another hour trying to get support, getting to queue number 4  the line disconnect, and on calling back the queue number is 17.  So I am turning to you lovely community

What am doing wrong?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBS50 (RBK50) Firmware upgrade - MAC TFTP -New Purchase not working

First off please confirm the FW version seen on the RBR using a wire connected PC and web browser connected to 192.168.1.1.

You can directly update the RBS to v16 by using this process first on the RBS:

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minute. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. it will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

The RBR will need to be updated as well to v16 before you attempt to connect the RBS to the RBR. They need to be on the same version of FW. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

First off please confirm the FW version seen on the RBR using a wire connected PC and web browser connected to 192.168.1.1.

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minute. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. it will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

The RBR will need to be updated as well to v16 before you attempt to connect the RBS to the RBR. They need to be on the same version of FW. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Message 2 of 12
Gregstar
Tutor

Hi FURRYe38,

Thanks for the quick response.

When I connect to 192.168.1.1 on the Router  I am pushed through a configuration process (not configured due to many resets)  Do I need to complete that process to get he FW version of the router?

The following is done using DHCP?  And to confirm this is the satellite, not the router?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minute. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. it will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

Yes.

Message 4 of 12
Gregstar
Tutor

Firmware version of Router is V2.3.5.30.

Should I update this to the V2.5.1.16 first or find the old firmware to update the Satellite?

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I would update the RBS first to v30. v30 should apply directly to the RBS using the wired PC connected to the RBS. 

You can upate to v16 later on if you want to. 

Message 6 of 12
Gregstar
Tutor

@FURRYe38  

When I connect the satelite to a laptop, I do not get a "router" IP address assigned and the power LED flashes red permanently.  Is this the red flash of death?

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Eeeks. So pressing the back reset button for 15 seconds then release change the LED behavior. If you don't see green on the back LED, then the RBS is bad. 

Message 8 of 12
Gregstar
Tutor

Ok so I have a new Satellite (the previous one was indeed bad)

I am back to the same position however after the satellite factory reset I get an IP address of 169.254.214.237 which when entered in a browser gives "unable to connect" error message

@FURRYe38I also entered the IP address you suggested and that also gave an unable to connect error message.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

And that was after waiting 5 minutes with the wired PC connected to the RBS after it was factory reset? 

@Gregstar wrote:

Ok so I have a new Satellite (the previous one was indeed bad)

I am back to the same position however after the satellite factory reset I get an IP address of 169.254.214.237 which when entered in a browser gives "unable to connect" error message

@FURRYe38I also entered the IP address you suggested and that also gave an unable to connect error message.

Message 10 of 12
Gregstar
Tutor

Hi @FURRYe38 after a time somewhat longer than 5 minutes it finally resolved the IP address and I was able to log in, to the admin tool.  I discovered that the firmware is the same on both devices.

So I ran the mobile app pairing service which was successful, although the mobile app says it was unsuccessful.

Anyway, through the cable connection I re-opened the admin tool available under a new IP address ( which was assigned to avoid an ISP conflict) and it says the router and satellite are connected and working well.

Thanks for your help @FURRYe38 

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got in and got it working. 

You can pair RBS to RBR with pressing the large black button in back of the RBR then RBS. 

After it's all setup and working well, i recommend doing a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Gregstar wrote:

Hi @FURRYe38 after a time somewhat longer than 5 minutes it finally resolved the IP address and I was able to log in, to the admin tool.  I discovered that the firmware is the same on both devices.

So I ran the mobile app pairing service which was successful, although the mobile app says it was unsuccessful.

Anyway, through the cable connection I re-opened the admin tool available under a new IP address ( which was assigned to avoid an ISP conflict) and it says the router and satellite are connected and working well.

Thanks for your help @FURRYe38 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7