Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBW30 causing repetitive network crash with Router RBR50

lms84
Follower

ORBI RBW30 causing repetitive network crash with Router RBR50

Hi

I suddenly started having a contant reboot of my router RBR50 this week.

My system is composed of a RBR50, a RBS50 and 2 RBW30.

I manually updated the firmware of all the units to the latest version as of May 27, 2020, made a factory reset on all units and reconfigured the system again.

After a few minutes working, the issue persisted and the wifi crashes restarted.

I then tried to have only the router working without any problems. Then I added the RBS50 and it also worked fine. As soon as I added the RBW30, within 10 minutes the wifi network started failing again.

I am now working with one staellite only, which fails to cover the whole house, and have to useless RBW20's.

Can anyone offer some help?

Thank you!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBW30 causing repetitive network crash with Router RBR50

What Firmware version is currently loaded on the units?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 4
Problems-123
Tutor

Hello,

I'm sorry, but I have no answers: Only sympathy.

I have an RBR50 base unit that's exhibiting a similar problem. It has the most recent firmware V2.5.1.16. It's connected to a Quantum Gateway G1100 modem. Until last night, I was using the modem in AP mode and changed all the same settings you tried changing.

When I first got the Orbi I had an RBR50 with two RBS50 routers. The base (RBR50) was in the basement of our home, and I put one RBS50 on each of the two stories of the home. After being told on this forum that the satellites were too close together and causing the problem, I have stopped using both satellites. Now the benefit of the mesh network and speed throughout the home is lost.

Since I have owned the router, once a day or so the router "disappears". All devices connected to it by Wi-Fi or hardwired lose connectivity and the RBR50 begins flashing slow white. This is the same behavior that occurs when intentionally restarting/rebooting the RBR50. It takes two to five minutes, and then the RBR 50 acts fine for another 18 to 28 hours before randomly rebooting again.

Before March, this was fine. Rarely was I doing much with the Internet when this happened. Occasionally it would interrupt a movie or TV show, but that was rare. It would happen when I was at work or overnight. Now, I am home ALL THE TIME and using the internet for work ten hours a day. It's no longer O.K.

Last night I spent over an hour on the phone with Netgear support. We performed a reset of the RBR50 and afterwards, the phone disconnected, and I was stranded without internet. So, I called Netgear back and after another hour on the phone had internet but was back to all factory default settings and operating as a router rather than an access point.

Any firmware update seems to make the network stable for 3 to 5 days (maybe it will again this time). After that time, the daily, random rebooting starts again. I have been through this with their service and tech support people here (in the community), by chat, or by telephone a half dozen times, and no solution has been permanent.

It's conceivable that a billion-dollar computer products company would create a product that isn't compatible with a very popular modem used by the most popular home fiber provider, but that seems short sighted and something fixable during one of the firmware updates issued by the company. It's also conceivable that this large company would create incompatible bases and satellites and sell them together in the same box. Both of those, however, seem unlikely. I think the more likely scenario is that there's a hardware issue plaguing the RBR50 -- at least a small number of these devices.

I apologize for not having a solution, but I hope that by sharing this it helps the company or community find an answer or begin to replace the units.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@lms84 wrote:

Hi

I suddenly started having a contant reboot of my router RBR50 this week.

My system is composed of a RBR50, a RBS50 and 2 RBW30.

I manually updated the firmware of all the units to the latest version as of May 27, 2020, made a factory reset on all units and reconfigured the system again.

After a few minutes working, the issue persisted and the wifi crashes restarted.

I then tried to have only the router working without any problems. Then I added the RBS50 and it also worked fine. As soon as I added the RBW30, within 10 minutes the wifi network started failing again.

I am now working with one staellite only, which fails to cover the whole house, and have to useless RBW20's.

Can anyone offer some help?

Thank you!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7