Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RKB50 throughput speeds to expect

McSmarte
Tutor

ORBI RKB50 throughput speeds to expect

I wonder what kind of speed I should really expect with this system? I used to have a cheap Tenda router, which actually worked quite well, except in my yard. So I got this Orbi system and wasn't really impressed, it isn't any faster than my previous single router.

Recently I got fiber and they ended up installing it in my office, which is more central location that the previous location of my cable modem. Having 1G up/down, I soon realized that I wasn't getting anything near that and started experimenting a bit. I have a file server connected to the Ethernet port on the Orbi router so started copying some files back and forth.

Ethernet and I get a constant 115MB/s read and write, 1G Ethernet maxes out. The most I have seen on the wireless connection is about 48MB/s when running it as a router. I read some people suggested to disable the routing part and sure enough, in AP mode it jumped up close to 52MB/s - I guess that is considered good enough? The backhaul link is "Good" and in the status is says 1733M, while the 5GHz is 866M, link speed on my Network connection is 866M. Tried both FW, 2.5.0.38  and older 2.3.5.34, also tried playing around with the power levels of 5GHz and 2.4GHz

I sit next to the satellite, copy some files again, 35MB/s. This is wireless to satellite, then again wireless satellite to router.

Plug in an Ethernet cable from laptop to the satellite and try again: 37MB/s

Powered off the satellite and now 42MB/s. I take the laptop and go to sit right next to the router 52MB/s.

Tried switching on and off Beamforming, MU-MIMO and Fast Roaming, all on default in my setup. To my surprise, disabling MU-MIMO seemed to give a random boost, but trying several times, any difference is more random than systematic.

I powered off Orbi altogether and start using the AT&T modem WiFi - lo and behold, 69MB/s. And this modem is hidden away down on a shelf right next to the server, not exactly best radio location.

Internet speed wireless through the AT&T modem is pretty good at 500/550Mbit/s up and down. The Orbi D/U 400/450Mbit with the AT&T wireless being off.

I think I have tried all settings there are, clicked all options on/off, changed power levels from 100% down - it never ever comes close to the standard AT&T modem. The router and satellite are visible to each other, no wall between them, at about 7 meters. The speeds mentioned here are not internet speeds, I know they can vary, but these are to my local server which I know can deliver up to 115MB/s data.

I have tried with 4 AC and AX wireless cards for my laptop, they all connect with the same link speed 866.7Mbps, and they all perform better with Orbi switched off. At least give me some decent speed between the satellite and router, that link is 1733Mbit

Yes, I don't live in the country side where I am the only one using the 5GHz band, I do have neighbors. However the crappy ugly service provider modem beats the Orbi, that makes me a bit sad.

I obviously fell for the Tri Band AC3000 sales lingo, kudos to sales. I got this system thinking it could save me routing soime Ethernet, now one year later... just ordered some CAT7.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: ORBI RKB50 throughput speeds to expect

Your results were not that far off from mine.  It's all we can expect from Orbi 5Ghz wireless backhaul, ~1/2 of wired speed.  Check this post

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7