Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI Router RBR20

DLT_ST
Aspirant

ORBI Router RBR20

Interesting how my free support plan ran out on 1/27/20 and days later my HVAC system can no longer connect to the router. I've tried everything I can think of but the system will not accept the password. I've reset the psswd and still does not accept. Netgear wants to charge me for support? Coincidence?? Anyone have any advice?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: ORBI Router RBR20

What modem are you connected to? 

What firmware is on the orbi?

Have you tried changing the wireless channel the orbi's broadcasting on?

Does your ssid/password have any special characters in it? i've read/experienced issues with these and IoT devices. And sometimes they can crop up later as the IoT maker updates firmware. 

Tried uninstalling the hvac app/device entirely and then redoing it? 

Are any other devices having issues? Tough to confirm its a router issue if only 1 device is having issues. Have you tried setting up an old router or even hotspotting a phone to see if the hvac can connect to those? 

Message 2 of 8
DLT_ST
Aspirant

Thank you for the response. I really wish they would make it easier to talk with someone from Netgear. I'm old school like that. Customer service isn't what it used to be I guess.

I'm a complete dunce with computer related items.

I have no idea on the first 3 questions.

No special characters are in psswd. I have yet to uninstall the HVAC device. It's a process that I will need the manual to help as a guide. Did one other time a couple of years ago so I should be able to do it again.

It's the only device having an issue connecting. I've trouble shot with Nexia who controls the device and the installer of the HVAC and they all claim it's an issue with the router. Uggh!

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

what model is it exactly that's having issues
Message 4 of 8
DLT_ST
Aspirant

I only know it as Orbi Router RBR20. I don't see anything else that would further describe the model??

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

The model of modem its connected to? What the orbi plugs into to get a signal. 

Model of hvac system? 

Firmware on the orbi? 

Message 6 of 8
DLT_ST
Aspirant

Sorry for my ignorance. It's an Arris SB6190 modem

Trane ComfortLink II XL950 Control

How do I uncover firmware on the Orbi?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@DLT_ST wrote:

Interesting how my free support plan ran out on 1/27/20 and days later my HVAC system can no longer connect to the router. I've tried everything I can think of but the system will not accept the password. I've reset the psswd and still does not accept. Netgear wants to charge me for support? Coincidence?? Anyone have any advice?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7