Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Router password

Daru
Aspirant

ORBI Router password

I have an extremely strong password on my Orbi network, likely unhackable. Does that protect my router  as well as my network? Therefor, how important is my route password?

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you mean the SSID PW or the RBR web page log in PW? The SSID PW only protects the wifi form being accessed by unauthorized users to connect to the wifi. The log in page PW only protects the RBRs web page from being accessed by unauthorized users. 

Message 2 of 8
Daru
Aspirant

RBR means Router Loging? Is the router login as vunerable as my wifi net twork? Is it outside my WiFi network? To clarifi again, Is my router protected by my SSID password?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

RBR means the model of the Orbi router. RBS is the Orbi Satellite. 

Only if you have remote access enabled could someone attempt to log in from a remote location. However, thats over an HTTPS connection so much less chance of someone getting in. If you don't need any remote access from a remote location, you can keep remote management disabled. When remote managment is disabled, the RBRs web page is only accessible from the LAN or wireless side of the network, meaning from with in your home. 

I use a plain simple 8 character PW for the Admin log in web page. I keep this to myself. So nobody can get in to the RBRs web page to change anything. The SSID PW is similar. Though I don't see a need for anything complex and risk with in my neighborhood is very low and I know all my nieghbors. Of course this doesn't mean this fits all. Users need to pick what is best for them. 

the PW on the SSID only protects the WiFi signal from being access from unauthorized connectsions, from out side the home or inside the home. So give the this SSID password to only those whom you allow to connect to the SSID name. 

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Daru wrote:

I have an extremely strong password on my Orbi network, likely unhackable. Does that protect my router  as well as my network? Therefor, how important is my route password?

"Important" is a loaded word.  You are correct that an extremely strong WiFi password will make it unlikely that someone will connect to your WiFi without you telling them the correct password.  (It is also unlikely that anyone will try in the first place, unless your Orbi is installed at someplace with "secrets to protect.")

Anyone with physical access to the Orbi router or satellite can plug in an ethernet connection and totally bypass the WiFi security.  So, leaving the Orbi with a "dumb" administrative password is not a good idea. ("password" anyone?)  However, how likely is it that someone will gain physical access to the Orbi? (and, have malicious intent to go along with their access?)

So, while I think a super complex password is not "IMPORTANT", one might want to consider maintaining decent computer practices across the board and not slip into a habit of "not considering risk" when a password is required.  8-10 characters is plenty.  (Mine is 22!)

Message 5 of 8
Daru
Aspirant

"It is also unlikely that anyone will try in the first place"

No, very likely. A person who writes code for one of the biggies hacked me. I Had computer problems for a long time. They ended a couple weeks ago with a new, long, random character password. If my router is not protected by my WiFi password, it won't be long before he'll be in it again. But physical access is impossivble. 

I agree. 22 random is strong. My SSID is several times longer... So I think I'll be okay with 8-1 intrernally.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll be fine. 

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, my goodness.  That's just tacky.  My guess is you are now "reasonably secure".  The risk, it appears, is not from someone attempting to directly log in, but in someone capturing the encrypted password and then using software to crack it.

https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-to/hack-wi-fi-cracking-wpa2-psk-passwords-using-aircrack-ng-01... 

Allowing for 70 possible characters in a random password (lower case, upper case, digits, and some special characters), my 22 character password has 3.9 e+40 possible combinations.  Even at several thousand attempts per second, it will take years to crack.

I remember when we used to leave the keys in the car and went on vacation and left the house unlocked.  (I'm old, and from Oklahoma.)  The world is now a very scary place.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7