Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Satellite RBS50 not connecting (and top LED not lighting)

vinlaunch
Tutor

ORBI Satellite RBS50 not connecting (and top LED not lighting)

Hello all,

I have an ORBI router (RBR50) and satellite (RBS50) and have realized that the satellite is not connected or functioning.  I have attempted to resync but it is not working.  The satellite powers on (i.e. the green power light is on), but the LED light on top doesn't light at all.  Not white, not pulsing white, not blue, amber or anything.  I tried a reset with paper-clip but no change.  I have seen other discussion about the LED flashing white or being steady white, but nothing about the LED not lighting at all.  What does that mean?  What can I do?

Thanks

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

It might be worth a few minutes to verify that the satellite is indeed "not working."

The Netgear Orbi User Manual is here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

On page 17, it says the satellite LED ring (at the top) being OFF means: The satellite synced to the router and is working normally

Another way to check is to log into the Orbi web app (usually 192.168.1.1) and look at the Attached Devices page.  At the top it should say how many satellites are attached and what the status of the backhaul is.  Once you know the IP address of the satellite, you can log into it and it will show how many devices are attached to the satellite.

The Orbi smartphone app works similarly, except it is "cute".  i.e. Network Topology will show Internet, Router,Satellite with small dots next to each one.  Tap on the dot and it will show details about the devices.

Message 2 of 16
vinlaunch
Tutor

Thanks so much for your response. 

I have already checked on the Orbi web app as well as the smart phone app which both list no satellites connected.  Those apps do list all the other devices (ipads, echos, phones) that are all attached to the router.

I am aware that the LED is not lit when the router and satellite are working normally, but is should turn on temporarily when it is restarted and syncing, right?  When I unplug the satellite then plug back in, the green power light comes on, but the LED does not at all.  It is my understanding that the LED light should turn solid white (mine does not), then when I push the sync button it should pulse white (mine does not) before turning blue for a few minutes after it successfully connects (p141). 

Does this mean the LED light is broken? if so I would think I should still be able to sync it, I just wouldn't get the visual feedback that is was looking then successfully connected (3 minutes of the blue LED light)

Does this mean I need to reboot or reset the satellite?  I tried that, but perhaps I have to do it in some specific sequence?

Does this mean the satellite is no longer functional?  That would be a shame, since I bought it 14 months ago and the warranty lasts 12 months. 

Any advice guidance you have is greatly appreciated!

Message 3 of 16
Chuck_M
Mentor

When you attempt to factory reset the satellite, do the LEDs perform as expected ?

Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Do you see the AMBER led come on at all? 

@vinlaunch wrote:

Hello all,

I have an ORBI router (RBR50) and satellite (RBS50) and have realized that the satellite is not connected or functioning.  I have attempted to resync but it is not working.  The satellite powers on (i.e. the green power light is on), but the LED light on top doesn't light at all.  Not white, not pulsing white, not blue, amber or anything.  I tried a reset with paper-clip but no change.  I have seen other discussion about the LED flashing white or being steady white, but nothing about the LED not lighting at all.  What does that mean?  What can I do?

Thanks

Message 5 of 16
vinlaunch
Tutor

With the satellite on (green power light is on) I insert paperclip.  hold for 10 seconds, for 30 seconds, still no light from the top LED. no white, no amber.

Message 6 of 16
Chuck_M
Mentor

You are looking at wrong light:

To reset your Orbi WiFi system:

1. Make sure your Orbi device is powered on.
  2. Using a paper clip or similar object, press and hold the Reset button until the Power LED on your Orbi device blinks amber. 
    Your Orbi device is reset.

Video:  https://youtu.be/cMw4ePACgc4

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

If your not seeng any light on the top case of the satellite after doing a reset, then probably the satellite maybe bad. I would make contact with NG support and ask to see what options you have. Ask for an RMA. 

@vinlaunch wrote:

With the satellite on (green power light is on) I insert paperclip.  hold for 10 seconds, for 30 seconds, still no light from the top LED. no white, no amber.

Message 8 of 16
vinlaunch
Tutor

Thanks for clarifying.  I did watch the video you linked to. 

When I push the reset button the green light never changes.  It just stays a green. 

I held it for 30 seconds and still no change. In the video it only takes a few seconds. I hear the little click when I instert the paperclip so am pretty sure I am depressing the button properly. 

Any idea what it means if the the power light doesn't change to amber?

Message 9 of 16
Chuck_M
Mentor

I think it means your device is hard broke.

Message 10 of 16
vinlaunch
Tutor

Do you have any advice for getting in contact with NG support?  Based on my date of purchase, the Netgear Support "Contact Us" page tells me that my "complimentary 90-days technical support" has expired and my support options are "Ask the Community" or "Search our knowledge base".

Or I am invited to call a number to purchase "Gearhead Premium Support" which appears to be $49.99 per incident or $89.99 for 6 months.

Also,

May I ask what is an "RMA"?

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try opening a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

If you have had the system beyond 90 days, you may need to pay the fee to get in contact with them. 

RMA= Return Material Autorization. Where they send you a working unit for a defective unit. 

Message 12 of 16
pyrotenax
Aspirant

You should not have to "pay a fee" to determine if a product is defective or not , if it is within warranty.
Message 13 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@pyrotenax wrote:
You should not have to "pay a fee" to determine if a product is defective or not , if it is within warranty.

This is correct.  However, in this particular instance the Orbi package was purchased 14 months ago, i.e. "out of warranty."

There is always a chance that Netgear Support would take pity on the customer and extend the warranty.  (I had this happen once with a dishwasher.)  To find out, contact Netgear Support, explain that it is "dead", and ask for an RMA.

Some credit cards extend the manufacturer's warranty, which might be another option.

If the Orbi was purchased from Costco, they might extend the warranty.

Message 14 of 16
rapidsft
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue you have. The unit appears to be dead. The other Satallite works but the other one does exactly what yours does. Did you get Netgear to actually do an R.M.A for you. I need to do the same.
Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try opening a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

If you have had the system beyond 90 days, you may need to pay the fee to get in contact with them. 

RMA= Return Material Autorization. Where they send you a working unit for a defective unit.

@rapidsft wrote:
I have the exact same issue you have. The unit appears to be dead. The other Satallite works but the other one does exactly what yours does. Did you get Netgear to actually do an R.M.A for you. I need to do the same.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7