Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI System components compatibility

FredParis
Aspirant

ORBI System components compatibility

Hello,
I have since on eyear an ORBI system with a RBR20 and its satellite RBS20 and everything works well. Now, I want to extend the network to the roof terrace.

I did tests with the RBS20 and it does not work if I put the satellite in the shelter that is on this terrace (it works unstably if it is positioned outside the shelter). I'm thinking of buying a Satellite RBS50 on the assumption that it's more powerful and it might work, but I'm wondering if it's compatible with the RBR20? Please advise about compatibility and any suggestion will be welcome..
I point out that the difficulties I encounter are not related to a problem of distance but of building structure since the terrace is above our home and therefore the router.

I know that NETGEAR propose outside satellite RBS50Y, which is more expensive but I would rather go to RBS50
Thank you in advance for your reply.

Best Regards, 

Fred

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: ORBI System components compatibility

All the satellites will work interchangably.  However, the RBS50 has has a 4x4 backhaul while the rbs20's are only 2x2. so even though you consider it more powerful, you won't gain any benefit from it as it can only connect back at the 2x2 configuration. 

Are you passing though concrete/brick/plaster to get to this outdoor terrace? these materials are great at blocking signals. I'd investigate powerline or a means of getting a hardwired connection outdoors. this would prevent the instability. 

Message 2 of 11
FredParis
Aspirant

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

Concrete makes things challenging.

Potentially you could just run a powerline out to the patio and use then use an orbi connected to it. a lot depends on what circuit the powerline is on as occasionally powerline can have issues/slow downs with certain powerline devices. 

I think that'd probably be your best bet for getting good coverage out there would be powerline for the orbi backhaul. 

Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Is this your building? (In the sense that you are able to install wiring?)  I use PowerLine, with a total of four adapters. As @plemans said, PowerLine is as much of a challenge as WiFi.  Short distances on the same electrical circuit can get tremendous bandwidth.  When PowerLiine connects to multiple circuits through the electrical panel, performance drops.  I get 1,200mb from one bedroom to another on the same circuit, but only 120mb from the same bedroom out to the garage on a different circuit.

One "general rule" is to never penetrate a roof, but there seems to be a shelter up there with electrical power in it.  Is there some way to run an ethernet cable to the shelter?

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. A pair of AV2 PowerLine adapters is about $100.  I would  not mess with the lower speed units.

Another thought.  Did someone happen to run television coax to the terrace?  (Or, maybe the cable TV feed comes to the building at the terrace level before going down into the house?  A pair of MoCHA adapters is another possibility.

Message 6 of 11
FredParis
Aspirant

the powerline is probably the best solution indeed, provided it keep the names and characteristics of those of the initial network ORBI for my google home system components.

Thanks for your help

Message 7 of 11
FredParis
Aspirant

This is not my building but I have an apartment and ath the upper level the roof top.
 The ethernet cable is not possible but the roof top has electrical power on my circuit so the powerline should work. Of course,  I need to check and especially that I need to test the performance!

Message 8 of 11
FredParis
Aspirant

A pair of MoCa adapters could have been a good solution but I do not have access to cable TV unfortunately.
I will probably go to the powerline with a wifi extender at the end as far as the tests are OK

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

You can get powerline devices that have wifi built in or you could get powerline only and hook an orbi to the other end. this would allow the seemless ssid setup. Just however you'd prefer it. 

Message 10 of 11
FredParis
Aspirant

Yes that ' a good alternate solution with probably a better performance but higher cost.

Thks

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7