Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI: WAN port when configured as switch

fdrebbin
Aspirant

ORBI: WAN port when configured as switch

Hello community,

I'm new to Netgear ORBI, and I'm based in France, where all Internet fibre provider are delivering there offer with a specific modem (called BOX in French).

I have installed the RBK50 and configured it as access point and not router, as the internet provider box is the router, delivering IP address through DHCP to the overall house network, and having devices (like desktop PC, printer, etc...) connected to it.

As a consequence, the WAN port of the RBR50 is not used as WAN, but as one of the 4 ethernet LAN port of the RBR50.

But, as soon as no device is connected to WAN port, the RBR50 top LED switch to purple...

Questions:

- To Netgear firmware development team: would it be possible to avoid this purple color as soon as the RBR50 is configured as an access point whatever is connected to the WAN ethernet port of the RBR50?

- To the overall community: am I allowed to use the RBR50 WAN port to connect the RBR50 to my internet provider BOX as any other of the 3 ethernet connectors? Or is there any recommandation to only connect "slaves" to this port?

Best Regards

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI: WAN port when configured as switch

@fdrebbin wrote:

- To the overall community: am I allowed to use the RBR50 WAN port to connect the RBR50 to my internet provider BOX as any other of the 3 ethernet connectors? Or is there any recommandation to only connect "slaves" to this port?

Yes, of course.  Not only allowed, but expected to.  The Orbi WAN port is supposed to be connected to the ISP device. No matter what "mode" the Orbi is in (router, access point), it expects the "internet" to be found on the WAN port.  The Orbi has to be connected to the ISP somehow, why not use the WAN port, which is what the instructions call for?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7