Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI WIFI NETWORK NAME

YONGSTAN
Aspirant

ORBI WIFI NETWORK NAME

Hi all,

I am running on 2GB dual broadband at home, split into two 1GB bandwidth, on RBR50 + Satellite and RBR40+Satellite respectively. Both are currently on different wifi network name. Wanted to know if it would be possible to use the same wifi network name for both networks?
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

The satellites can mix and match. Only thing to keep in mind is the backhaul for the lower models is only 2x2 and not 4x4 like the rbs50's. 

so if you're daisy chaining them, put the lower backhaul device at the end of the chain to limit bottlenecks. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

theoretically yes. You can. 

In usage, you'd have all kinds of issues. You'd have devices on different networks or issues with joining the wrong network ie wrong IP addresses, wifi interference. 

You'd lose the benefits to using orbi with the seamless wifi goals of orbi.

Is there a reason you want to go this route? Most wireless devices can't get close to maxing out a gigabit connection much less 2 gig. 

The Orbi doesn't support link aggregation but you could get a router that does and place the orbi in wireless ap mode for wireless service.

I guess the question again is, what are your over all goals here?  Best way to implement seamless wireless integration, blistering hardwired speeds, etc.  the more we know the better we can help. 

Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

oh and with your dual hookup, I assumed both had their own IP addresses? Just checking as Orbi has issues with 2 orbi routers on the same network. 

Message 3 of 11
YONGSTAN
Aspirant

Yes. They have their own IP. Looks like its a no go...
Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

Not necessarily saying its fully no go. You could put all your wired devices on one of the 1gig services so that the other was reserved just for wifi devices. And you can leave the orbi's with separate wifi's.  Just make sure to separate out the channels far enough to limit interference if possible. Lots of possiblities for setup and better to have the option than those of us without.

Again, not sure of what the overall intention is to help you figure out a good solution. the seperate IP addresses is a benefit for some (IoT devices, servers, etc) to reduce congestion on one network or for network security. Its a downfall for others as they like all their IP address's in a set range.

Up to you how you prefer managing your network. 

Message 5 of 11
YONGSTAN
Aspirant

4 storey linear house with narrow width and deep plan. Currently the RBR50+satellite can only cover the front section, while the RBR40+satellite the back section. My original intention was to have RBR40+satellite serving all the stationary devices such as TVs, TV setup boxes, robovacuum, Xbox, google home, Arlo etc. While RBR50 + satellite to cover the house for mobile devices.
Message 6 of 11
schumaku
Guru

A router with multi-WAN capability and enough bandwidth can deal with more than one Internet connection - you won't find these in the consumer market. And then, the 1 GbE Orbi wont be able to take a real advantage out of it.

Message 7 of 11
YONGSTAN
Aspirant

Ok. Thank you all for the prompt response!
Message 8 of 11
YONGSTAN
Aspirant

One last thing...

Can different models of satellites be used? Ie. for RBR50+satellite, can i connect my RBR40 satellite to the RBR50 as the 2nd satellite? Or must the same model be used inorder to work?
Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

The satellites can mix and match. Only thing to keep in mind is the backhaul for the lower models is only 2x2 and not 4x4 like the rbs50's. 

so if you're daisy chaining them, put the lower backhaul device at the end of the chain to limit bottlenecks. 

Message 10 of 11
YONGSTAN
Aspirant

Thanks!!!
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements