Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI & WPA3 compliance

ricst
Aspirant

ORBI & WPA3 compliance

Will Netgear commit to upgrading the ORBI RBK50 routers to be WPA3 compliant after the WPA3 standard is released later this year?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Something they may or may not comment on since some of this maybe already in development. Somthing you might ask NG support however they may not say anthing either. Might ask this on NG FB or Twitter or check on there new blogs.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

We can presume NG will and it would come in a FW update if and when full testing is completed. I presume testing is needed before WPA3 would be added. Maybe some HW compatilities issues that needs to be reviewed first.

Users can see whats been certified:

https://www.wi-fi.org/news-events/newsroom/wi-fi-alliance-introduces-security-enhancements

Message 2 of 5
ricst
Aspirant

Thanks - That would be my expectation... But since WPA3 *requires* a compliance testing protocol, NG would need to develop a firmware update WPA3 candidate and then get that accepted by the Wi-Fi organization.... I would like to hear NG publicly commit that they intend to spend the money required to do this and which router lines they intend to cover.... Because I don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars now only to find out that NG won't be upgrading my new router...

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Something they may or may not comment on since some of this maybe already in development. Somthing you might ask NG support however they may not say anthing either. Might ask this on NG FB or Twitter or check on there new blogs.

Message 4 of 5
guzzijason
Apprentice

WPA3 is more than just software, but also requires hardware certification. IMHO, there's no guarantee the current Orbi model line-up will ever support it, due to the time and cost involved in (re)certification of legacy hardware. Netgear (and other manufacturers) may decide that that WPA3 for legacy gear isn't worth it, and only include it on future models.

I'm just speculating, however. In any case, I wouldn't hold my breath wating for a WPA3 update any time in the near future.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7