Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI & WPA3 firmware - 2019/Aug update.

UltraNet
Aspirant

ORBI & WPA3 firmware - 2019/Aug update.

Ifaik, it's been over a year since any comments on this subject in the forum - and the WPA3 (personal) procol was certified in early 2018. But I can find no reference to any relevant Firmware update for the Orbi Router gear from Netgear (which are not dated, unfortunately).

So I don't know why the topics/threads have been marked "solved/closed"! - Is anyone able to provide an update reference WPA3 security on the Orbi ecosystem? Is this active/live yet? Thx.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI & WPA3 firmware - 2019/Aug update.

The WPA3 web site shows only one Netgear home WiFi product as WPA3 "certified" (RAX120).  (Also, one D-Link, zero Linksys, zero TP-Link.)

https://www.wi-fi.org/product-finder-results?certifications=32&items=30

Sometimes I am frustrated by the gap between industry announcements and the real world.  5G phone networks, for example, require not only on the 5G network, but also completely new phones.  I wonder how firms like Apple, Dell, HP, Intel, Samsung, Google, etc. are doing with WPA3 authentication on their products.  I haven't read much, but my guess is that WPA3 is somehow "backward compatible" with WPA2 so that switching a router from WPA2 to WPA3 doesn't suddenly make every older device stop connecting.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7