Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI and NEST Hello

airwolf666
Aspirant

ORBI and NEST Hello

I was using a beta version software on my orbi and the beta test was complete so i upgraded the firmware to 2.2.1.210 and ever since my NEST hello goes offline a few minutes thru out the day and night. I had read thru the group that it could be a dns issue if it happen around the same time, so i changed and assigned it it's on IP address so I could try to rule that out. I have now down graded to version 2.1.4.16 and it still keeps going offline. I have done factory resets on the orbi and still happens. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
airwolf666
Aspirant

I ended up using a WiFi extender that I had laying around. It is a Netgear EX6100 and using it in extender mode and using the fast line to the router on 5 ghz band, that leaves me using the 2.4 ghz band to the Nest Hello which for some reason it likes only using that. When using the fast lane you have to choose which band you want to talk with the router and then the other band are for your devices. Since I have done this I have not had any discounts from the internet.

image.png

View solution in original post

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 9 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Have you factory reset the NEST and set it up from scratch? 

Contact the NEST mfr for additional help and information as well.

Message 2 of 10
airwolf666
Aspirant

I currenlty am using a Netgear CM1000 cable modem thru Cox communications.

The Orbi is in Router mode.

1750 square feet is the home size. The router is located in my office which is in the front of the house and is located 6 feet away the NEST hello. The satellite is about 25 to 30 feet away. One satellite is used RBS50.

I am using Auto I can try switching.

Lots of WiFi neighbors by 8 to 10.

Using WPA2-PSK (AES)

I currently have unchecked Enable Implicit Beamforming and Enable MU-MIMO

I can try missing around with the daisy chain, but don't think that matters to me as i only have the one satellite.

Yes I have done a factory reset and set up, which is not fun.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try enabling Beamforming. 

You can try and run a test. Turn OFF the satellite while working with the camera to ensure it's getting connected to the main router first. If you can get it connected well, then turn on the satellite later.

Message 4 of 10
airwolf666
Aspirant

I actually had on beam forming in the beginning and then turned it off and tried it and then turned off MU-MIMO. I am thinking of turning off or unchecking the fast roaming but don't think this is a problem because the router is 6 feet away from the nest and satellite is far away in the back of the house. When checking the satellite i have never seen the nest hello connected there.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, set WPA to disabled temporarily. See if the NEST will connect. If so, try WPA and Auto. Not WPA2.

Message 6 of 10
airwolf666
Aspirant

The NEST Hello is connect to the ORBI most of the time but every so often it disconnects for a few minutes and then connects again.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

See if setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 helps. 

Try WPA2 and AES only. 

Message 8 of 10
airwolf666
Aspirant

I ended up using a WiFi extender that I had laying around. It is a Netgear EX6100 and using it in extender mode and using the fast line to the router on 5 ghz band, that leaves me using the 2.4 ghz band to the Nest Hello which for some reason it likes only using that. When using the fast lane you have to choose which band you want to talk with the router and then the other band are for your devices. Since I have done this I have not had any discounts from the internet.

image.png

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Great. Glad you got it working well. 

Enjoy. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation