Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI and Nest Thermo

CP5262
Aspirant

ORBI and Nest Thermo

Nest therostat cannot see ORBI RBR 40 network.  I've read putting it in AP mode solves the problem.  but when I put ORBI in AP mode I lose all wifi.  My fix was to reset orbi to factory settings and start over.  So I have internet back, but still no Nest connection.  Im using an Arris surfboard modem - I was told to turn off wifi on it so only wifi on orbi is "on" so as not to interfere.  How do I connect NEST and keep internet on?!  Thanks very much.

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@CP5262 wrote:

Nest therostat cannot see ORBI RBR 40 network.  I've read putting it in AP mode solves the problem.  but when I put ORBI in AP mode I lose all wifi.

The Orbi "mode" (router vs. access point) should have no relevance to whether a device connects to WiFi or not.  My original Nest thermostat was connected originally to my Netgear R7000 WiFi router.  When I replaced the R7000 with Orbi and configured the Orbi with the same WiFi SSID and password as the R7000, the Nest thermostat connected immediately to the Orbi.

With many devices, troubleshooting is more convenient when the device is placed close to the WiFi access point.  This is not possible with a thermostat which draws power from the HVAC connection.  It has been many years, but I have a vague memory that setting the WiFi was a bit cumbersome on my old Nest.  If you can specify exactly which Nest model this is, we can look at the installation guide and offer suggestions.

Message 3 of 13
nicholb
Luminary

@CP5262 wrote:

Im using an Arris surfboard modem - I was told to turn off wifi on it so only wifi on orbi is "on" so as not to interfere.  How do I connect NEST and keep internet on?!  Thanks very much.

If you just turned off WiFi on the modem/Router you are most likely in a double NAT situation with both the Orbi and Arris acting as routers. This will cause probalems for many things. You have two options to fix that. 

1. Go into your Arris and set it to "bridge mode". You'll probably be able to find this by Googling the model number and bridge mode. This I would say is preferable as it leaves all the Orbi router features active. 

2. Switch the Orbi to Access Point mode. This shuts off the Orbi's router functions. I know you said you tried this already and it is hard to guess what whent wrong. It could have been you did not have DHCP on at the Arris, or it could be the IP address assigned to the Orbi was not in the correct subnet. It could also be something else. Try to get option 1 working first.

Message 4 of 13
Mstrbig
Master

What Arris surfboard modem do you have? I also have an Arris AB8200, but it is just the ISP modem, so there is no configuration.

Have you tried resetting your Nest? Just remember resetting will lose all data on the Nest and you will have to set it back up.

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@CP5262 wrote:

Nest therostat cannot see ORBI RBR 40 network.  I've read putting it in AP mode solves the problem.  but when I put ORBI in AP mode I lose all wifi.  My fix was to reset orbi to factory settings and start over.  So I have internet back, but still no Nest connection.  Im using an Arris surfboard modem - I was told to turn off wifi on it so only wifi on orbi is "on" so as not to interfere.  How do I connect NEST and keep internet on?!  Thanks very much.

Message 6 of 13
CP5262
Aspirant

no.  arris is set to bridge mode.  im weary of turning orbi to AP again cause everything goes down - no wifi and i dont have the time to reset again right now.  arris is #VG2482AC.  not really sure where to go from here.

Message 7 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the information about the Arris.  The VG2482AC product is indeed a "modem/router/WiFi" device (all in one).

When this device is in "bridge mode", then the Orbi must be in "router" mode.  Putting the Arris in bridge mode should automatically disable the router, DHCP, and WiFi functions of the Arris.  (The WiFi lights on the front panel are OFF, correct?)

I would love to discuss at which point in the setup process things "go wrong", but I need the exact model of Nest thermostat to find the installation instrucions on line.

Message 8 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

It appears that there are a bunch of model numbers (SKU's) for Nest thermostats:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nest_Learning_Thermostat 

This is probably something that was printed on the box (that has long since been thrown away) and may be printed on a product label inside the Nest.  (Mine has not been off the wall for so long that I have forgotten how to remove it.)

Message 9 of 13
CP5262
Aspirant

model of nest:  

• T3017US is 3rd Generation - white ring, US release  nest learning thermostat  you guys are great for sticking with this - thnak you!
Message 10 of 13
Mstrbig
Master

Upon researching, it is mentioned over and over, if the Nest keeps doing what is in your post, to reset the Nest and perform install from beginning, as if it a brand new stat. This should correct any anomalies. I had a Vizio 4k TV in my Family Room that would not connect 5G, no matter what I tried. It was driving me crazy. I finally copied all my settings and factory reset the TV. Setup the WIFI and it connected 5G first time. So i know sometimes resetting devices can fix weird issues.

Message 11 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

I confess this is a struggle.  Every reference I find says, "Follow the directions."  But, I cannot FIND the damn directions.  I know it is in "Settings", "Network" (or is it "Wireless"?), and then what happens?????

I can imaging that at some point, a list of WiFi networks appears, and turning the outside ring scrolls up and down through the list.  Have no clue how the WiFi list is sorted (alphabetic? in order that they were detected? best signal on top? - which would be MY pick)  In some areas there are so many WiFi networks that the Orbi may not be on the tiny screen.

Is THIS where things "stop"?  i.e. the Orbi SSID does not appear and scrolling up or down doesn't make it appear?

Message 12 of 13
Mstrbig
Master

How to Factory Reset the Nest Thermostat. Start by clicking on the Nest Thermostat unit to bring up the main menu. Scroll to “Settings” and select it. Scroll all the way to the right and select “Reset”. Choose “All Settings” at the very bottom. Select “Reset” on the next screen to confirm.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7