Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI and horible streaming media performance.

Zoethedog
Guide

ORBI and horible streaming media performance.

Hi, 

To Orbi support, do you ever intend on fixing these units so that streaming media can actually work longer than 4 minutes, or I just have to chalk this up as a terrible purchase wasting about 500 dollars and purchase another brand? I just want to know so I can plan accordingly. Thank you in advance for an honest answer. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
tsig
Luminary

I can stream both plex and Sling tv all day, both wired and wireless no problem.  Perhaps the issue isn't entirely the router.

Message 2 of 14
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

I am streaming what 4K content there is without any hitch or bufferring. The local host on my TV is connected solid at 5GHz. Running ookla speedtest on Google on my TV shows I am getting full contracted download from my ISP. Been in operation since mid November, gone through initial firmware update and .18 update, with only one minor issue (backhaul topography needed switching to daisy chain off).

Without more details on your situation, not sure anyone here can help ... if that is your intention.

Message 3 of 14
Zoethedog
Guide

Thanks for the reply.  It is a problem with this router, and yes some devices are fine such as roku. Other devices get kicked on and off constantly. My past router did not do this, but had a smaller range. This problem has been report ad nausium here. I've had contact with support about Amazon echo getting dropped repeatedly, and that seems to have been made better with the last update and a few suggested advanced setting changes, which are not documented anywhere so I think we can assume here a work around. I am not a tech noob, and I know how to drill down through variables to pinpoint issues. So, when several devices exhibit the same behavior we can probably rule out individual devices. When the internet speed and reliability test with high results, we can rule that out. When a device that is known to be problematic exhibits the same problems that others keep reporting without resolution I think we can safely assume from where that problem originates. All I want to know, and I'm sure others do too, is if this expensive p.o.s. is going to be fixed or do I junk this system and resolve to not purchase from this unreliable brand again. Cheers.

Message 4 of 14
Zoethedog
Guide

Thank you for the reply. Specifically,  4 roku units preform just fine since December. 4 echo/dot units exhibit lost connections. Chromecast is now very unreliable. IPhones/androids also drop but not so frequently as other devices. Nothing is far away for an antenna. A Yamaha a/v reciever drops contantly now when streaming.  Nest and my frontpoint alarm seem to be ok, but they are not real-time apps. Thank you.

Message 5 of 14
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Not wanting to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs, just curioious. Is fast roaming enabled or disabled? How is the backhaul doing? How many satellites do you have? Are you in a star or daisy chain mode? What is the signal strength 15' away from router and each satellite? Can you see it drop and reappear? It seemed to me that the .18 changes affected some people dofferently. Did you try to go back to old firmware? 

Message 6 of 14
tsig
Luminary

Lets see if I can remember all my devices.

Roku's, Zmodo video doorbell, (2) Sharx camera's, Iphones, Ipad, Android tablet, Roku Tv, HP wireless printer, Schlage front door lock, Onkyo receiver, PC

None have had issues.

Message 7 of 14
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

I am usuallly running eleven devices plus the two satellites. Two are wired to the router (AT&T Cisco Microtower, and Arlo Pro camera base station). My only tiny issue has been when I enabled fast roaming (just to see what it would do for me) my S8+ switching back and forth actually lost its stickyness to where I usually hang out and in some cases that was not the optimum thing. No big deal one way or the other as my coverage is good, and I don't walk around while streaming things on my phone.

Message 8 of 14
Zoethedog
Guide

Joe, thanks for this. I will look into this tonight when home. It would be wonderful if there was a resolution!
Message 9 of 14
Zoethedog
Guide

I'm not sure how this got checked as a solution. I unchecked it.

Message 10 of 14
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

yes, I was surprised.No solution intended in my post or even implied.

Message 11 of 14
Zoethedog
Guide

So, fast roaming is disabled,  1 satellite,  daisy-chain mode is on, backhaul reports good. I have not tried rolling back to a previous firmware.

Per tech support I've also made these changes:

A) Change the Channel of the Orbi's WiFi. Select 11, 9,6, or 1 for 2.4GHz and 48 or 44 for 5GHz. Apply to have your changes take effect. 
B) Change the MTU Size under WAN Setup page to 1492, 1450 and 1400. 
C) Disable both Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices and Enable MU-MIMO under Wireless Settings. Observe. You can also enable these then also observe the connections

Message 12 of 14
Beobachter
Tutor

I also habe this issue with my Orbi Router RBR20 and Satellites RBS20. Changed the system to Orbi a view days ago and never had this problem bevore with my old router:

Streaming stops every view seconds or is interrupred with:

- Netgear Arlo Pro

- Netgear Arlo Q (and Q Plus)

- Harman/Kadon Omni 10 and Omni 20 wifi Speakers

- Amazon alexa for radio streaming

- Ring Video Doorbell 2

The reason for this must be Orbi. Firmware V2.1.4.10

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 13 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We have a new beta firmware you may want to try you can find it here.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1585613#M32993

DarrenM

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7