Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI appears twice in available WiFI on Epson Workforce 545 Printer

dono703
Initiate

ORBI appears twice in available WiFI on Epson Workforce 545 Printer

I have literally spent 5 hours over the last 2 nights trying to get ORBI set up right.  As of now I finally have WiFi in the house, EXCEPT we cannot get the printer on-line.  No matter what I name the router (now just called ORBI), it appears twice in the list of WiFi on the Epson Workforce 545 Printer and the printer describes a conflict and it will not work properly.  I amd just about ready to pitch this system and go back to my old router it has been SO frustrating.  I have reset the printer and ORBI to factory defaults, spent hours with customer support to no avail.  Anyone know what the problem is???  I unplugged the satalite and it still appears as 2 WiFi's.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

Same for Brother MFC-9340CDW, except that it doesn't throw an error.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Your printer is apparently not compatible with Orbi's single SSID for mutiple APs and both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi bands. Orbi is not the only system with this feature, so it's really a compatibility issue with your printer.  Your printer has a wired Ethernet port.  You can connect the printer to the orbi router or satellite using a wire.

Message 3 of 7
rhester72
Virtuoso

@st_shaw wrote:

Your printer is apparently not compatible with Orbi's single SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi bands. Orbi is not the only system with this feature, so it's really a compatibility issue with your printer.  Your printer has a wired Ethernet port.  You can connect the printer to the orbi router or satellite using a wire.

I'm not sure that's it - MANY printers do this, but very few support 5GHz.  In my case, the router and satellite both showed up on the printer, with the same SSID but different MACs - and realistically, it really doesn't matter which you pick, so long as you have decent signal.

Rodney

Message 4 of 7
st_shaw
Master

@rhester72 I don't understand what you are saying. Can you elaborate?

I said the OPs printer isn't compatible with Orbi WiFi becuase it shows two Orbi SSIDS, he's spent 5 hours with support, and he says the printer reports a conflict and won't work no matter what he does.

You said your printer shows two SSIDs and it doesn't matter which SSID is picked, as long as you have good signal.  What does that mean exactly?  Presumably you mean it doesn't matter because your printer works for you no matter which SSID you select.

This doesn't appear to be the case with the OP, unless he never even tried selecting one of the SSIDs.

Message 5 of 7
dono703
Initiate

It did not matter which Orbi I selected, the printer would not function. I took the advice and ran an Ethernet cable to the printer and I got it to work. Again I'm not sure what the issue is because if I unplugg satalite problem still exists. So hardwiring is a distasteful but workable solution. Waiting on new Ethernet cable to arrive as need longer.
Message 6 of 7
raven_au
Virtuoso

@dono703 wrote:
It did not matter which Orbi I selected, the printer would not function. I took the advice and ran an Ethernet cable to the printer and I got it to work. Again I'm not sure what the issue is because if I unplugg satalite problem still exists. So hardwiring is a distasteful but workable solution. Waiting on new Ethernet cable to arrive as need longer.

That's becuase those SSIDs probably aren't router and sat but are the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless on different channels. You might even see a third, that being the hidden backhaul.

Seeing the two entries is quite common in my experience.

With other routers that provide band steering on a single SSID, if you find you have a device that can't handle the steering you would just turn off the single SSID function and give each band a distinct SSID, but Orbi doesn't provide that ability.

Ian

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7