Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI constant dropouts

mezzaninedoor
Aspirant

ORBI constant dropouts

I have an RBR20 router that im using with a garden/outdoor use RBS50Y then with an RBS20 in  my outdoor office.

Now it worked okay for a couple of days.

Then it started to have multiple dropouts when Im trying to work a working day, Ive spent a lot of money on these ORBI mesh units and its so frustrating that they cant keep a link up and keep dropping out.

Can anyone help.

The ORBI app shows that things are mainly green.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

How is the RBS and RBSY placed in relation to the RBR? Out in a line or in a start formation? Is Daisy Chain enabled? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 9
mezzaninedoor
Aspirant

Thanks

Im using a VirginSuperhub as the ISP router thats linked into the ORBI router, then Ive got my garden router about 30 feet away and then about 50 feet away from the graden router ive got my ORBI sattelite in my office.

It was all working fine on day 1 and now im just getting dropouts.

Message 3 of 9
mezzaninedoor
Aspirant

Sorry I meant garden sattelite

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The ISP modem has a built in router and wifi. 

Be sure that this modems wifi radios are fully disabled. 

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

These are suggestions for use with ORbi and ISP modems with buit in routers and wifi. These modems and there wifi can cause interferences with Orbi. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Is Daisy Chain enabled? 

Message 5 of 9
mezzaninedoor
Aspirant

Thanks I have enabled Beaming and MIMO and Daisychain is already enabled

I hadnt turned off the Virgin router wifi, ill do that

Message 6 of 9
mezzaninedoor
Aspirant

There are only a few wifi neighbours and im avoiding their channels

Message 7 of 9
mezzaninedoor
Aspirant

I want to throw this kit against a wall. I have the garden sattelite in the same room as the RBR20 router and its blue but the ORBI app and the Router login are not showing the sattelite as connected.

If anything things are worse than before I tried to sort the issues out.

£450 worth of kit and nothing about it appears to be simple or even working particularily well.

Im so frustrated.  Surely this stuff is meant to be used by non IT types and shouldnt need so much intervention to get to work.

Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

I just noticed this thread.  By any chance was is this Orbi equipment purchased less than 90 days ago?  If so, Netgear support might be able to offer advice.

In the RBS50Y User Guide, it mentions the bottom LED going through a sequence and turning blue for three minutes, then turning off.  This is what has happened when the satellite is placed in the same room as the router, correct?  (the LED does not remain blue)

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS50Y/RBS50Y_UM_EN.pdf

It is not clear to me where the dropouts are experienced.  Is it only in the office that is 50 ft. past the garden satellite?

What is the symptom that signals a dropout is happening?  (web page doesn't load?  video stream stutters?)

Is the Orbi set up in "router" or "access point" mode?  Since the Virgin Superhub was broadcasting WiFi, then there is a good chance it was also operating as a router.  Aw @FURRYe38 pointed out, having two routers "back to back" is something most people avoid.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7