Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI disconnects temporarily when i go upstairs

jacoblee16
Aspirant

ORBI disconnects temporarily when i go upstairs

I have the Orbi, 2 satellites. My connection temporarily disconnects when I go upstairs. For mesh routers, I should have a continuous connection correct? I have noticed my connection go out when I am wifi calling or video calling. Any solution here? If i separate the 2.4 and 5 ghz, would this also cause this issue? 

Enabled: beamforming, mu-mimo

Disabled: Fast Roaming, Daisy chain - I noticed frequent disconnects when I had these enabled. Is this why it's not constant?

3500 sq feet home, 3 stories, but mainly use the first 2.

thanks,

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI disconnects temporarily when i go upstairs

It's up to wifi devices to pick and choose which signal source they connected too. If the signal gets bad enough, even if your on a call, the device may switch on it's own which would cause this temporary disconnect. 

Fast Roaming should help some though it's still up to the device. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Beamforming should be enabled most of the time. 

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI disconnects temporarily when i go upstairs

@jacoblee16 wrote:

Disabled: Fast Roaming, Daisy chain - I noticed frequent disconnects when I had these enabled. Is this why it's not constant?

Daisy Chain should have no effect on this.  If you notice that both satellites connect directly to the router, then disabling Daisy Chain makes sense.

Fast Roaming is intended for this situation, where a device moves from one Orbi device to another.  I have it set "on".

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7