Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI losing wifi connection linked with another router

Pgrond
Follower

ORBI losing wifi connection linked with another router

Dear all, Just bought the ORBI50 and hooked it up to my router Experiabox V10. Orbit is in AP modus and the wifi on the V10 is out. But they are no friends and wifi drops every hour or so. I updated the ORBI to the latest firmware, but still the same. I believe there is something else I should do, but what? Reason I am using the V10 is because of my tv. The V10 is also the tv provider, so I cannot replace the router. I really hope somebody can assist!

Message 1 of 12
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hellp Pgrond

You may want to factory reset the unit as the latest firmware made alot of changes.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 12
joehbca
Tutor

we have had the same issue, as well as, many....MANY others.  Netgear is lost in solving this.  such a disappointment and, of course, always happens after warranty ends.  great example of how not to launch a product that is touted as whole house solution.  far from it.  hopefully, netgear is making this a priority or they could end up losing so many customers and damage their brand.

Message 3 of 12
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello joehbca

Can you give more detail on your network setup what the issue is and what firmware is on your orbi.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 12
joehbca
Tutor

Darren,

I have V1.12.0.18 and I believe this is updated.   I run the main ORBI through my verizon (now, frontier) router via ethernet (I only have FIOS internet and not TV so no cable).   I have a three story smaller home.   The main ORBI is in my office and the satellite is on the second level (approximately 25 feet).   My house is tall and narrow.   

I have ORBI wireless AP to ON.

Let me know if you need anything else.  

Message 5 of 12
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We have a new firmware that has alot of fixes and many of said it has fixed issues they are having you can get it here

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-0-availability/m-p/1368730#M13446

DarrenM

Message 6 of 12
joehbca
Tutor

I completed all firmware updates and still have continuous dropped issues.   this is really annoying.  of course, this issue is post warranty.  what are my next steps to either get this working as per the claims, getting a refund, starting a class action lawsuit, throwing it in the trash.....help me out.   $500 for something that does not work is really frustrating and disappointing.   also, this is a widespread issue (based on numerous forums) and I don't think Netgrear is trying to take care of their customers.   referring to a firmware update (which I've seen multiple updates and everyone still has the issue) is not solving the problem.   do i have a defective product?   help me out and get this resolved.  thank you.

Message 7 of 12
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Joehbca

Do you have beamforming and mumimo enabled? Are you on the latest firmware and tried a factory reset? If you are still having disconnects send me a PM with contact info and I will have our support team work with you.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 12
Chathamtri
Tutor

Have to say, it is not you, it is them.  After several weeks of updating the firmware, rebooting the unit etc. nothing works.  In fact, it only got worse: to the point that we went from sporadic connectivity to nothing - on all home products (Apple, Amazon, Nest, etc.).    We are now shopping for a unit that works - any adivce is great - and we have written to CNET (we follwed their recommendation) asking them to review these community chats and reconsider their 8.3 recommendation.    We are not tech savy and rely on CNET, Wired and other for their reviews.   I asked them test this product after 6-12 months when it seems the units breakdown.  $400 is a large investemnt, especially when it turns into an ugly doorstop.  But hey, as a doorstop IT WORKS!

Message 9 of 12
Phandam
Apprentice

Chathamtri, I am not having the same issues as you but one of other issues reported here.    I got sick of spending so much time keeping my Orbi connected so I purchased Google Wifi.    My speeds are not as high as the Orbi but it is stable for the last week and I dont have any dropped connections anymore.     As most, I can't return my Orbi so will hold on to it for a while longer hoping they release a mature firmware and I set it up again, but not counting on it.     But I am happy with my google wifi since it is stable and everything connects and works like it should.........it just won't be as fast as the Orbi (when it works).

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 10 of 12
Chathamtri
Tutor

Thanks for the response.   After a bit more research I too purchased the Google Wifi product.    Have to say it is very easy to install (easier than Negear - especially for the satellite units) and so far is working well.  The key word is that it is working.   I recognize that the Google Wifi speed will not be as good but again, the Google product is working.   The Orbi units stopped working all together a few weeks ago and now sit in a closet with hopes that Netgear will one day learn how to write systems that ACTUALLY work.   Until then, the Google Wifi is a very good replacement and at this early stage recommend it to others.

Message 11 of 12
wash
Aspirant

I'm having the exact issue with my system and have performed all of the firmware updates and recommended tweaks.  I have not yet invested in the Google product in hopes that Netgear will solve this problem, being that this was such a huge investment for me.  Nevertheless it is becoming exceedingly clear that Netgear software engineers are uncapable of producting a stable product and as of today I will never purchase another product from this company.  In order for these companies to stop taking advantage of their customer by placing these peices of garage on the market, the end result must hit them where it hurts...in their pocket!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7