Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI manual channel selection

TomFrommack
Initiate

ORBI manual channel selection

My Internet Provider is wireless in our rural area. The ISP radios operate in 2.4GHz. My current wifi mesh (Google) does not provide any ability to manually deconflict channel contention in this case. My ISP utilizes 2412 channel primarily...and that conflicts with the brittle Google Mesh radios. 

I am trying to determine if Orbi can be manually set for specific channels in the 2.4G spectrum. If so, can you provide a screen shot(s) of the Admin app that enables this capability?

If Orbi can provide this kind of flexibility, then I'm going to replace my Google mesh.

Thank you for your help!!

Message 1 of 21
guzzijason
Apprentice

Yes, you can specify which channel to use:

channel.png

Message 2 of 21
Lauralb
Tutor

Did you try this? I’m having the same conflict with my wireless ISP and the Orbi router RB50 has limited channel selections and you can’t change the backhaul channel. So I’m searching for a different router as well. 

Message 3 of 21
TomFrommack
Initiate

No, I've not given it a try. My wireless ISP upgraded their tower gear a few weeks ago (stronger and narrower beam signal) and now my Google wifi gear is working at the service-level I was supposed to have with the ISP.

You may want to try and coordinate with your ISP to determine frequency and channel options/recommendations (if you haven't already). Google does not provide any channel selection at all, so the fact that Orbi does is a good thing imho.

If you're referring to your ISP's backhaul flexibility...I wouldn't expect them to have any. Usually, it is...what it is with infrastructure.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Message 4 of 21
debwillia
Aspirant

So how do you get to the screen to change the channel? 

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

By selecting the down arrow menu for the channels then when they are disaplayed, click on a channel you want to use. Then apply the setting. 

Message 6 of 21
debwillia
Aspirant

That doesn’t tell me how to get to the screen that shows the channels.
Message 7 of 21
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@debwilliawrote:

Just click on Wireless in the left-hand list of pages.

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What he said. 

Please also review the user manual next time if you need help with the routers web pages. Good information there. 

@RocketSquirrelwrote:

@debwilliawrote:

Just click on Wireless in the left-hand list of pages.

Message 9 of 21
debwillia
Aspirant

From where???

I can’t click on a left hand if I don’t have a link!
Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Select and click on the working that says "Wireless" on the left side. 

Message 11 of 21
webminster
Luminary

You do know how to get to the Web UI, right?  http://orbilogin.com/

Message 12 of 21
swieder
Tutor

After a week of use with the Orbi system, I am replacing it with Three NetGear WAC510 wireless access points.  I am not happy with all three Orbis being on the same WiFi channels.  The WAC510's look alot more configurable.  The price is about the same, about $300.

There may be a bit of extra setup.  As a networking guy it should be fine.

Orbi seems okay for casual users, but I want more options.

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 13 of 21
Lauralb
Tutor

Are they stand alone routers as well? Or do you have a different one as your main router?
Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

For wireless MESH and extenders, the design of this extender system is to use the same channels as the main host router AP. It's how extenders and repeaters work. The extender and repeater devices are supposed to use the same channel as the main AP. Or it would not work like that. For separate channels, then one would use standard wireless APs. 

Message 15 of 21
swieder
Tutor

They are routers that I will run in AP mode. All with the same SSID and different Wi-Fi channels. 

Message 16 of 21
toe
Apprentice
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

For wireless MESH and extenders, the design of this extender system is to use the same channels as the main host router AP. It's how extenders and repeaters work. The extender and repeater devices are supposed to use the same channel as the main AP. Or it would not work like that. For separate channels, then one would use standard wireless APs. 

My Orbi's are running on different channels. I think you're confusing what Netgear choses to expose to the end user, vs what can actually be configured. At the end of the day, Orbi's are nothing special, they use standard Atheros chipsets, standard wifi drivers, and a linux OS.

Message 17 of 21
Lauralb
Tutor

What router would you recommend that can handle having multiple devices, especially iPhones and fire sticks? My previous router would often stop working when there were multiple devices on in the house. The Orbi has handled all the devices well, but with no channel flexibility on the satellite it interferes with my internet provider (M3 Wireless). We live in the country so this is the only type we can get. It works well when there is no signal interference. Thanks
Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

IS the M3 wireless your ISP service and modem?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? Built in router here? If so,

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Can the M3 wireless be configured for different channels or disable? It's recommended not to have more than one wireless source in the home. Unelss you can keep the channels separate from each other, i.e. channel 11 on Orbi and channel 1 and M3.

@Lauralb wrote:
What router would you recommend that can handle having multiple devices, especially iPhones and fire sticks? My previous router would often stop working when there were multiple devices on in the house. The Orbi has handled all the devices well, but with no channel flexibility on the satellite it interferes with my internet provider (M3 Wireless). We live in the country so this is the only type we can get. It works well when there is no signal interference. Thanks

Message 19 of 21
Lauralb
Tutor

It is my ISP. No router. Modem only.
Thanks
Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

@Lauralb wrote: