Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI satellite connections RBS20

huffstar
Aspirant

ORBI satellite connections RBS20

I just purchased an RBR20 and RBS20 combo from costco.  I did this because my front door bell is having a problem connecting to my old router in the media room.  I located the satellite close to the front door with the idea of having the door bell connect to it for better access.

The door bell is still connecting to the router in the media room and the signal is still weak.  I can't find anything on how to tell a device to connect to the satellite instead.  I would think a simple unique name for the satellite woulld have been the case but I don't see that you can give it a name.

Any ideas out there on how to do this?  If I don't get a solution, the whole thing is going to be returned because it is useless to me if I can't get the door bell to connect to the satellite every time it initializes.

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI satellite connections RBS20

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Also try turning down the 2.4ghz radio power output as well ON the router. Try setting from 100% to 50%. Found under Advanced tab/Advanced/Wireless Settings...

Message 2 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@huffstar wrote:

I just purchased an RBR20 and RBS20 combo from costco.  I did this because my front door bell is having a problem connecting to my old router in the media room.  I located the satellite close to the front door with the idea of having the door bell connect to it for better access.

The door bell is still connecting to the router in the media room and the signal is still weak.  I can't find anything on how to tell a device to connect to the satellite instead.  I would think a simple unique name for the satellite woulld have been the case but I don't see that you can give it a name.

Any ideas out there on how to do this?  If I don't get a solution, the whole thing is going to be returned because it is useless to me if I can't get the door bell to connect to the satellite every time it initializes.

What is the setup procedures to connect the doorbell to your wifi?   Is there a freq (2.4G or 5G) restriction?

Message 3 of 14
huffstar
Aspirant

The door bell is 2.4 ghz only.  With my old router, only the 2.4 network name showed up for a connection even though I have a 2.4 an 5 with different network names.  The new router does not have a separate network name.  It somehow figures out if it can connect to 5 and does so if it can. My iphone X for example shows as a 5G connection but I can only select the one network name configured for the new router.

Message 4 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try lowering the power of the 5Ghz radio on the Orbi? Then see if the device connects? 

Any of the suggestions work? 

You can try this:

Separate SSIDs:
https://blog.jocelynlagarenne.fr/jsn/index.php/integration/114-how-to-get-different-ssid-on-orbi-mes...
Disable 5Ghz radio:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/HOW-TO-DISABLE-5G-TEMPORARILY-ON-ORBI-ROUTER/m-p/1566398#M3121...

Not recommneded as this defeats the Orbis MESH design and operation. 

@huffstar wrote:

The door bell is 2.4 ghz only.  With my old router, only the 2.4 network name showed up for a connection even though I have a 2.4 an 5 with different network names.  The new router does not have a separate network name.  It somehow figures out if it can connect to 5 and does so if it can. My iphone X for example shows as a 5G connection but I can only select the one network name configured for the new router.

Message 6 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Not recommneded as this defeats the Orbis MESH design and operation. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/HOW-TO-DISABLE-5G-TEMPORARILY-ON-ORBI-ROUTER/m-p/1566398#M3121...

tell that to those who have made it work....

Message 7 of 14
huffstar
Aspirant

My firmware was updated when I installed the router so it is current for both the router and satellite.  With all due respect, I appreciate your suggestions, but I refuse to try work-arounds to do something it should intrinsicly do in the first place.  If I can't find a user friendly solution, I will simply return it for a refund and look for something that works the way I expect it.  I bought the router compulsively which I usually don't do (maybe another lesson learned)

Message 8 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@huffstar wrote:

My firmware was updated when I installed the router so it is current for both the router and satellite.  With all due respect, I appreciate your suggestions, but I refuse to try work-arounds to do something it should intrinsicly do in the first place.  If I can't find a user friendly solution, I will simply return it for a refund and look for something that works the way I expect it.  I bought the router compulsively which I usually don't do (maybe another lesson learned)

OK....I was able to connect my 2.4G only weather station by turn down the power on 5G and shutting down one of the Sats.  The 'work-around' above evidently has worked for others.  Your understanding of the mesh system perhaps could have saved your frustration.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this one:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649457...

If not, good luck. 

@huffstar wrote:

Message 10 of 14
huffstar
Aspirant

I appreciate everyone's suggestions.  I can't accept a solution that requires me to take action everytime the network may go down or power is lost.  I expect all devices to connect where I want them when they come back online.  This is simply a software issue that netgear can fix.  I am surprised it is an issue in the first place. Their quality control and testing is flawed at best.  I will be returning the router until a better solution is available (now or in the future).

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Well once you make the changes, they will persist. 

Others have mentioned that the issue of satellites and router not working right after a power outage seemed to be fixed in this version of FW...

Good Luck Though. 

Message 12 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 13 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@huffstar wrote:

I appreciate everyone's suggestions.  I can't accept a solution that requires me to take action everytime the network may go down or power is lost.  I expect all devices to connect where I want them when they come back online.  This is simply a software issue that netgear can fix.  I am surprised it is an issue in the first place. Their quality control and testing is flawed at best.  I will be returning the router until a better solution is available (now or in the future).

Have you contacted the Doorbell Maker?

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7