Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI seems to limit my WIFI signal

MR_ROPY
Aspirant

I just ordered a new subcription at Ziggo (provider in NL) to go from 50Mbs to 500 Mbs. Ziggo changed my modem and I now have a new connectbox and delivers currently via LAN 250 (so that should still increase) and the WIFI signal from the Connectbox is approx 240 (so pretty close to the LAN speed). I have a direct UTP cable between the connectbox and the Orbi (and they are very close to eachother). When I connect to the WIFI network that the Orbi provides, I get only approx 40 Mbs. That is WAY too low. 

Could this be a setting problem at the Orbi side?

Or is the Orbi not able to offer higher capacity?

I also have an Orbi sattelite (which is located in my first level of the house), it basically delivers also approx 40 Mbs. So also way too low.

Hopefully this is recognized and you can help me to solve this.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: ORBI seems to limit my WIFI signal

are you testing over 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

2.4ghz is much slower. 

and the orbi bandsteers between 2.4ghz and 5ghz. 

What speeds do you get hardwired into the orbi router and then into the satellite? 

Message 2 of 6
MR_ROPY
Aspirant

I tested via speedtest.net and tested via UTP directly to the Conenctbox of Ziggo and that gave approx 240 (which should be 500).

Connecting on WIFI of Connextbox gave a little less but close to that LAN speed. Then I connected to the WIFI network on the Orbi

(5 Ghz) and delivered only approx 40. So way lower! It seems the Orbi limits the speed of the Connectbox.

Some more info in the Router

Router info.JPG

My Router firmware is on V2.5.2.4

I see in connected devices that 22 devices are connected, allmost half on 2.4Ghz and rest on 5Ghz. I can't really see if/where I can choose to connect a specific device to the 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz. Do you know that, because it seems the Orbi has chosen what to put on 2.4 and what on 5Ghz.

Within the Orbi Admin layer I found the channel setting of the 2.4GHz channel (now set to Auto) and the 5.0GHz channel (now set to 40).

But like said above, I can't see how I can change it per device.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

I would post in the actual orbi forum and not the nighthawk router forum. 

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

Also, when you post in the orbi forum include what actual model is the modem/gateway

Message 4 of 6
MR_ROPY
Aspirant

Sorry, I see I missed 1 Q. What is the speed when I hard wire the laptop to the Orbi.

I just did that speedtest.net with a UTP cable between laptop and the Orbi and it is approx 80.

To be clear, the signal should be 500:, speedtest shows:

- Approx 240 when hardwired to the original router (called the connectbox) from Ziggo (the provider)

- Approx 170 when I use WIFI on this connectbox

- Approx 80 when I hardwire to the Orbi (that is connected to the Connectbox with 1m UTP cable)

- Below 40 when I use the WIFI of the Orbi

When I hardwire to the satellite (which is on the 5GHz channel), I get: approx 93

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What wired and wireless devices are you using for speed testing? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You might want to update FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

@MR_ROPY wrote:

I just ordered a new subcription at Ziggo (provider in NL) to go from 50Mbs to 500 Mbs. Ziggo changed my modem and I now have a new connectbox and delivers currently via LAN 250 (so that should still increase) and the WIFI signal from the Connectbox is approx 240 (so pretty close to the LAN speed). I have a direct UTP cable between the connectbox and the Orbi (and they are very close to eachother). When I connect to the WIFI network that the Orbi provides, I get only approx 40 Mbs. That is WAY too low. 

Could this be a setting problem at the Orbi side?

Or is the Orbi not able to offer higher capacity?

I also have an Orbi sattelite (which is located in my first level of the house), it basically delivers also approx 40 Mbs. So also way too low.

Hopefully this is recognized and you can help me to solve this.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7