Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI used as Gateway Slower than 1GB Connection

seamonkeas
Aspirant

ORBI used as Gateway Slower than 1GB Connection

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting the RBK50 to run at 1GBS via ethernet when setup using PPOE and VLAN201. When I test the speeds with ethernet to the centurylink ZyXEL C3000Z, I have no issues. When I remove the centurylink modem, and use the RBK50 directly I only get 400-500 Mbs.

Per this article: Forum Article I do not have Access Control or Traffic Meter enabled. The speedtest app looks like it is only run adhoc, so I don't think it is something I can disable.

I would love to have this working as the century link modem seems to block external port forwarding to 443

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you testing the speedtest app with in the Orbi UI or using a Wired PC connected to the Orbi and using speedtest.net windows or mac app? 

If you used the QoS app in the UI then I would do a factory reset on the Orbi and setup from scratch and this time, do not run the Orbi speedtest app, use a wired PC and speedtest.net app from there site. Do this while ALL other devices are not connected to the router. 

Why is PF needed for 443? 

You can use the ISP modem as your router and then use the Orbi in AP mode. 

Or try using the modems DMZ for the Orbi in router mode. 

Message 2 of 46
seamonkeas
Aspirant

• I've never used QOS and already factory reset it (again)
  • Yes, I'm using ethernet to the PC

It is a night and day difference if I use the Century Link Modem on it's own.

"ISP modem as your router and then use the Orbi in AP mode."

I'm currently doing this, but it seems to block my web services on the ISP modem. They work fine on the orbi by itself.

Message 3 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

If the Orbi is in AP mode, then it's only working as a pass thru for traffic. There is no routing. 

For any PF configurations, you'll need to look into the ISP Modem/router to ensure it's correctly working well. 

Are you testing the speedtest app with in the Orbi UI or using a Wired PC connected to the Orbi and using speedtest.net windows or mac app? 

Message 4 of 46
seamonkeas
Aspirant

If the Orbi is in AP mode, then it's only working as a pass thru for traffic. There is no routing. 

Yes, I undersand that AP mode is not doing routing.I'd prefer to not use this setup at all.

For any PF configurations, you'll need to look into the ISP Modem/router to ensure it's correctly working well. 

Yes, I noted that there is some empirical evidence that Centurylink routers don't do PF well.

I've used a wired connection with command line interface through linux that uses speedtest.net servers, I've also tried Fast.com, the regular Speedtest GUI, etc. All of that is irrelvant though, as the speeds I've seen in AP mode, or with the router provided by century link are acceptable. It is only in PPOE mode that I have trouble.

Furry, I appreciate you trying to help. However, please read my first post carefully specifically the section that says "When I test the speeds with ethernet to the centurylink ZyXEL C3000Z, I have no issues."

I would appreciate someone who has a similar internet setup commenting. If there is anyone who also has a PPOE setup, I would appreciate your thoughts tremendously.

I am not a your typical user who doesn't try "turn it off and back on again".
Message 5 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Has the Orbi been configured correctly for AP mode and connected to the ISP modem to see if the speed is to spec there? 

There is probably a NAT accelleration issue between the Orbi and ISP modem when the Orbi is in Router mode. 

You might contact NG support to see if there are any issues in PPPoE and router mode with the Orbi. 

Good Luck, 

Message 6 of 46
seamonkeas
Aspirant

Has the Orbi been configured correctly for AP mode and connected to the ISP modem to see if the speed is to spec there? 

Yes, I've said this mulitple times. The speed is "up to sec" while using AP mode. I DO NOT desire to use AP Mode.

There is probably a NAT accelleration issue between the Orbi and ISP modem when the Orbi is in Router mode. 

The orbi can be used without the Century Link Modem (if you use PPOE and VLAN tagging, I see a smilliar result. This hyptothesis is  false.

You might contact NG support to see if there are any issues in PPPoE and router mode with the Orbi. 

My hope was that someone from NG support would chime in. I've used a Linksys Velop router and had a similar result.
Message 7 of 46
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @seamonkeas

Our support team is looking into this issue and would like to work with you. Please PM me your name, email address, phone number and device serial number. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 8 of 46
alstsmith
Apprentice

I'm seeing a very similar situation. Orbi in Router mode PPPoE VLAN enabled with a 1Gbps fibre connection tops out at high 700Mbps speeds on a native speedtest.

Same connection using ISP supplied modem happily gets mid 900Mbps speeds.

Firmware all uptodate

Currently back to running orbi in AP mode, but keen to get the additional functionality available when in Router mode. 

Message 9 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you run this test with your Orbi router? 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/router-wan-to-lan-throughput-test.html

This would tell us if your Orbi is able to pass traffic over it's WAN port near 900Mb...If it does, then it maybe a protocol or NAT protocol handling issue with PPPoE possibly with Orbi and 1Gb ISP speed services. 

@alstsmith wrote:

I'm seeing a very similar situation. Orbi in Router mode PPPoE VLAN enabled with a 1Gbps fibre connection tops out at high 700Mbps speeds on a native speedtest.

Same connection using ISP supplied modem happily gets mid 900Mbps speeds.

Firmware all uptodate

Currently back to running orbi in AP mode, but keen to get the additional functionality available when in Router mode. 

Message 10 of 46
alstsmith
Apprentice

A little tricky as on a MacbookPro

but...if I connect the laptop directly to an ethernet port on the orbi )which is currently connected to modem via WAN port), will that be a useful test?

Message 11 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah ok, ya that test is for Windows. Sorry. 

No the laptop had to be connected to the LAN port. 

@alstsmith wrote:

A little tricky as on a MacbookPro

but...if I connect the laptop directly to an ethernet port on the orbi )which is currently connected to modem via WAN port), will that be a useful test?

Message 12 of 46
alstsmith
Apprentice

Did a full factory reset then re-synced with fibre ONT using PPPoE and VLAN

Max speedtest was 700Mbps with most speed tests mid 400's (over wired ethernet)

Went back to direct to modem (Huawei HG659b) and got mid 900's again

Something seems definitely off with the Orbi acting as a router and connecting to a 1Gbps fibre connection....

Message 13 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Seen some routers that don't do well with PPPoE as the connection protocol. This one always seems to operate slower then Dynamic DHCP. 

You might ask NG if this is an issue when using PPPoE and being on a 1Gb service.

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

I know others have tested there systems to 900Mb however I believe they were not using PPPoE. 

@alstsmith wrote:

Did a full factory reset then re-synced with fibre ONT using PPPoE and VLAN

Max speedtest was 700Mbps with most speed tests mid 400's (over wired ethernet)

Went back to direct to modem (Huawei HG659b) and got mid 900's again

Something seems definitely off with the Orbi acting as a router and connecting to a 1Gbps fibre connection....

Message 14 of 46
alstsmith
Apprentice

Just did full resets again, and bridged my ISP modem with the Orbi acting as a router. 

Again, an instant drop from 920Mbps to 680Mbps max speed (wired)

It'd be great to work the NG support to try and get to the bottom of this. But at present it appears that the Orbi can't do 1Gbps (i.e. mid 900Mbps) PPPoE which is a bit of a disappointment...

Message 15 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

I would open up a ticket here and see if you can get some help on this:

Seems like PPPoE is having issues on Orbi. Others using DHCP for there ISP services are getting 900Mb speeds:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-Satellite-setup-some-thoughts-and-questions/m-p/1695...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Download-speed-cut-in-half-on-wired-connection/m-p/1695372/hig...

Just maybe a problem with PPPoE on the Orbi router. 

@Blanca_O 

@alstsmith wrote:

Just did full resets again, and bridged my ISP modem with the Orbi acting as a router. 

Again, an instant drop from 920Mbps to 680Mbps max speed (wired)

It'd be great to work the NG support to try and get to the bottom of this. But at present it appears that the Orbi can't do 1Gbps (i.e. mid 900Mbps) PPPoE which is a bit of a disappointment...

Message 16 of 46
alstsmith
Apprentice

I’d love to contact support directly. However it seems like this isn’t an option as I purchased the Orbi last September. I only got fibre in the last 3 weeks so this problem wasn’t apparent originally

Chat and email support aren’t available it seems as more than 90 days from purchase??

It’d be great if one of the moderators here could reach out as this does seem to be a real issue.
Message 17 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets see if we can get someone to contact you.

@Blanca_O 

@ChristineT 

@alstsmith wrote:
I’d love to contact support directly. However it seems like this isn’t an option as I purchased the Orbi last September. I only got fibre in the last 3 weeks so this problem wasn’t apparent originally

Chat and email support aren’t available it seems as more than 90 days from purchase??

It’d be great if one of the moderators here could reach out as this does seem to be a real issue.

Message 18 of 46
Siege7817
Tutor

I am also having a similar issue.   NG support can you contact me please?  Thanks.

Message 19 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Please open up a support ticket here and someone from NG will contact you then:

@Siege7817 wrote:

I am also having a similar issue.   NG support can you contact me please?  Thanks.

Message 20 of 46
alstsmith
Apprentice

Would love to. But apparently support is 90 days only (which seems extremely short)
Message 21 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you get in Contact with BlancaO or ChristineT? 

@alstsmith wrote:
Would love to. But apparently support is 90 days only (which seems extremely short)

Message 22 of 46
alstsmith
Apprentice

DM’d them both. Neither replying
Message 23 of 46
Siege7817
Tutor

I also would love to. But apparently support is 90 days only, and I am past that. 

Message 24 of 46
raven_au
Virtuoso

What is the MTT packet size, found on the WAN Settings page?

Message 25 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 45 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7