Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI used as Gateway Slower than 1GB Connection

raven_au
Virtuoso

@raven_au wrote:

What is the MTT packet size, found on the WAN Settings page?

Sorry, that should read MTU size.

Message 26 of 46
alstsmith
Apprentice

MRU in Hg659b is 1492 with an MTT of 0

The orbi defaulted to 1492 when I had it in router mode.

Message 27 of 46
raven_au
Virtuoso

@alstsmith wrote:

MRU in Hg659b is 1492 with an MTT of 0

The orbi defaulted to 1492 when I had it in router mode.

Right, which is what it should be for PPPoE.

That's not the problem then.

Message 28 of 46
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Siege7817 and @alstsmith

Please check your inbox. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 29 of 46
manikinrunner
Aspirant

Was this ever resolved?  

Message 30 of 46
alstsmith
Apprentice

Not yet. Waiting to talk to NG support. 

Message 31 of 46
manikinrunner
Aspirant

Wow.  Ok, thanks!  I just bought the set from Costco and figured it would be better than my CL gateway (and the tech mentioned "it's easy to put a high-throughput router here instead, just connect to the ONT")

Message 32 of 46
alstsmith
Apprentice

It definitely works well like that in router mode. I'm just hitting a 30% performance hit on download speeds with 1Gbps fibre.

Hopefully it's a fixable firmware issue and not a hardware limitation. 

Message 33 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

@Blanca_O send you a PM. Hopefully NG can have a look at your debug logs...Let us know how it goes. 

@alstsmith wrote:

It definitely works well like that in router mode. I'm just hitting a 30% performance hit on download speeds with 1Gbps fibre.

Hopefully it's a fixable firmware issue and not a hardware limitation. 

Message 34 of 46
manikinrunner
Aspirant

I have 1Gps, too (what gives with 100 or 1000 and no inbetween?!) . . . looking forward to seeing what you find out.

Message 35 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

How are you testing your system? 

@manikinrunner wrote:

I have 1Gps, too (what gives with 100 or 1000 and no inbetween?!) . . . looking forward to seeing what you find out.

Message 36 of 46
manikinrunner
Aspirant

Ah.  I was referring to CenturyLink only offering fiber in two speeds:  100 or 1000.  No in-between.  Which is pretty dumb.

Message 37 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah, I guess thats how they keep there market and support mimimal. Does seem kind of odd. My ISP supports 1Gb and a few lower ones. I guess not alot of call for 500 or 700mb connections. Smiley Tongue

@manikinrunner wrote:

Ah.  I was referring to CenturyLink only offering fiber in two speeds:  100 or 1000.  No in-between.  Which is pretty dumb.

Message 38 of 46
BubbaDoug
Tutor

I too have gigabit Internet, but without PPPoE. My Orbi couldn’t keep up in Router mode so I switched to AP mode and brought in an R7800 as my router. Now I can sustain 942 megabits per second.

NAT is compute intensive and many routers, including the Orbi, don’t have the horsepower to keep up with a gigabit WAN.
Message 39 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-Satellite-setup-some-thoughts-and-questions/m-p/1695...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Download-speed-cut-in-half-on-wired-connection/m-p/1695372/hig...

@BubbaDoug wrote:
I too have gigabit Internet, but without PPPoE. My Orbi couldn’t keep up in Router mode so I switched to AP mode and brought in an R7800 as my router. Now I can sustain 942 megabits per second.

NAT is compute intensive and many routers, including the Orbi, don’t have the horsepower to keep up with a gigabit WAN.

Message 40 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Were you able to get a hold of NG support? 

@alstsmith wrote:

Just did full resets again, and bridged my ISP modem with the Orbi acting as a router. 

Again, an instant drop from 920Mbps to 680Mbps max speed (wired)

It'd be great to work the NG support to try and get to the bottom of this. But at present it appears that the Orbi can't do 1Gbps (i.e. mid 900Mbps) PPPoE which is a bit of a disappointment...

Message 41 of 46
alstsmith
Apprentice

Initial testing with ISP modem bridged and new 2.3 firmware aren't encouraging. If anything, speeds looked slower with Orbi as router and direct ethernet connection. 

I'll try a direct Orbi to fibre connection later tonight.

Message 42 of 46
alstsmith
Apprentice

Firmware 2.3.0.32

1 Gbps Fibre ONT -> ISP modem ethernet -> Device = 920Mbps

1Gbps Fibre ONT -> Orbi as router ethernet -> Device = 780Mbps

so, no improvement with new firmware....

Message 43 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Something to let NG know about as well. 

@alstsmith wrote:

Firmware 2.3.0.32

1 Gbps Fibre ONT -> ISP modem ethernet -> Device = 920Mbps

1Gbps Fibre ONT -> Orbi as router ethernet -> Device = 780Mbps

so, no improvement with new firmware....

Message 44 of 46
Theskyfell
Initiate

I was wondering if there was ever any resolution to this? I am having the same issue but a little more extreme. I just got CL Gb fiber and can only get 470 mb down and 170 mb up. What’s worse is I am lucky to get even half of that over WiFi.

I have the C3000Z in transparent bridge mode and the Orbi is connected via a 5e cable. I am at my wits end on how to improve this. Currently my connection is worse now on the DL side then it was with Comcast but I have faster service.

It is PPPoE. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 45 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Seen others with same issue with PPPoE. Something you'll need to contact NG support about. https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

What happens if you change the modem back to router mode and configure the Orbi for AP mode? 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Ensure your speed testing with a wired PC. 

@Theskyfell wrote:
I was wondering if there was ever any resolution to this? I am having the same issue but a little more extreme. I just got CL Gb fiber and can only get 470 mb down and 170 mb up. What’s worse is I am lucky to get even half of that over WiFi.

I have the C3000Z in transparent bridge mode and the Orbi is connected via a 5e cable. I am at my wits end on how to improve this. Currently my connection is worse now on the DL side then it was with Comcast but I have faster service.

It is PPPoE. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Message 46 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 45 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7