Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI wont stay connected with CM1150V Modem

Waimeamike
Aspirant

ORBI wont stay connected with CM1150V Modem

I have the Orbi RBR50v2 with 2 RBS50v2 satellites.  I recently shifted from AT&T to Comcast so I purchased the CM1150V Nighthawk Modem for Xfiinity Voice.  Plugged everything in things appeared to be working just fine.  Then I started dropping WiFi sporadically (no set pattern) but the Voice stayed up.  I have attached a connection monitor report.  I called Netgear and they tried to get me to reset the CM1150V Modem but there are no resets or adjustable features on the modem.  After 2 hours and 3 different handoffs at Netgear all reading from the same script I quit.  I returned the modem to bestbuy per Netgear's recommendation and  the new modem does the same thing.  Then, I did a factory reset on the Orbi and things got a little better but the WIFI continued to drop randomly.  I know COMCAST is staying up because I don't lose voice while WIFI is out and I can connect to my neighbor's wifi guest network which is also comcast and run the connection monitor and there is no downtime.  He is running the regular Xfiinty modem/router setup.  

Any help would be apreciated.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: ORBI wont stay connected with CM1150V Modem

Posting pictures takes a bit as moderators have to approve it. You can click the "choose file" and those are faster. 

What firmware is your Orbi on?

When the wifi drops, do your wired devices drop? (not your phone)

Have you noticed if its devices connected to a certain satellite dropping or do they drop regardless of which router/sat they're connected to? 

How large is your home?

What material is your interior walls of your home? Certain materials such as adobe, plaster lathe, hvac, foil lined insulation, brick, concrete, etc all do great jobs of blocking wifi. 

Message 2 of 4
Waimeamike
Aspirant

My router firmware is V2.3.5.30.

All WiFi devices drop regardless of satellite they are connected to.  I

don't know about wired devices as the only other wired device is a Phillips lighting wifi device for smart lights. I will need to plug in my laptop with the connection monitor running and see if the problem is still there. 

As I said earlier, the phones which run off the router do not drop.

My home is 3100 square feet, two story.  It has a metal handrails on the stairway which make a perfect faraday cage in the middle of my house so I have one Orbi satellite hard-wired to the Orbi router. The setup worked perfectly when I was on the AT&T Modem/Router.  The trouble began when I inserted the Nighthawk Multi-Gig modem with Infinity Voice (CM-1150V).  There are no adjustable features on the modem other than factory reset.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

So its only the satellites that are having issues?

Couple things you could try or it could be.

how far apart are they from router/satellite? 30 ft is the minimum distance needed

You can try enabling/disabling these: beamforming, mu-mimo.

Handrails alone aren't goign to make a faraday cage. Maybe if the whole stairway is lined with hvac but not just the handrails. 

the other option is that some have been issues with the v2.3.5.30 firmware with stability. Some people fixed it with a simple factory reset of all the devices and manual re-install. If it doesn't work you can manually downgrade the firmware to an earlier version to see if it helps. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7