Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI

RockSolid
Star

ORBI

Any updates on how to help Orbi from intermittently disconnecting from internet?  IT\ts terribly frustrating and completely unacceptable for a device to cost this much and have such poor performance.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Would need more information from you on what is happening.

Both wired and wireless stopping?

When this happens, do you have access to the routers web page still?

What FW version are you using?

What mfr and model# ISP modem is the Orbi connected too?

How is the Orbi configured?

Auto or manual channels?

Any wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What devices do you have connected? Wired and wireless?

Message 2 of 15
RockSolid
Star

Both wired and wireless stopping?

Appears to be just wireless devices

When this happens, do you have access to the routers web page still?

Yes I can still access OrbiLogin.com but I usually only do this after I did a factory reset and needs to set up device again

What FW version are you using?

Will check but it has recently been updated and says it is still up to date.

What mfr and model# ISP modem is the Orbi connected too?

Will checkbut is an Arris suddenlink modem

How is the Orbi configured?

As router.  

Auto or manual channels?

Auto

AutoAny wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Yes...seems like a lot of wifi options on the drop down menu so Im assuming they are close by

What devices do you have connected? Wired and wireless?

IMac

2 macbook pros

2 ring video doorbells

2 iphones

2 ipads

Thank you 

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I wuold try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz, what ever channel doesn't have much other wifi nieghbors using it.

Also what is the distance between the Orbi router and satellite? Feet?

Let us know about the other questions...

Message 4 of 15
RockSolid
Star

I wuold try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz, what ever channel doesn't have much other wifi nieghbors using it.

How would I tell what channels the neighbors are using?

Also what is the distance between the Orbi router and satellite? Feet?

Probablay 20-25 ft

Let us know about the other questions...

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Load up a free wireless scanner and it will tell you what you and others are using.

Distance is maybe too close. Starting should be 30feet in between depending upon building materials.

Message 6 of 15
RockSolid
Star

The satelite and router have always been this close.  Would this just now be causing a problem after 6 months?  

What is the maximum distance the satelite and router can be placed?

Message 7 of 15
Kstip
Initiate

I am having the exact same issue and its very frustrating, especially after spending over $800 on the initial bundle plus 2 more sattelites.  The cable company has been out twice and even replaced my router.  I have done everything suggested on here:  Router has no Wifi so there is no "competing" between the router wifi and the Orbi.  I have updated all my units to version 2.1.4.16.  I have reset with a paperclip to factory setting and re-ran a new setup.  I have scanned what channels are frequently used by my neighbors and changed both channels for 2.4 and 5 to be the least used in my area.  The router STILL drops, especially at night.  Almost like clockwork every night at 9:20 PM we can't get on and I have to reset the Orbi.  When the Orbi is completely unplugged, internet is up and running perfectly via ethernet connection direct to my Arris router.

I have a RBR50, 2 of the RBS50's and a RBW30.  When connected we get speeds over 90 Mbps (we pay for 100).

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Depending upon building materials, some users have posted 50-60feet. Mines currently 40 feet in between. The router alone can conver up to 30 feet on it's own. This is just another factor to consider. I'm hoping that maybe changing from auto to manual channels 1, 6 or 11 will be the man factor here...

@RockSolid wrote:

The satelite and router have always been this close.  Would this just now be causing a problem after 6 months?  

What is the maximum distance the satelite and router can be placed?

Message 9 of 15
RockSolid
Star

tried changing frequencies.  Still not online on devices.  Can get online on desktop that is wireless as well.

I see on the wifi scanner that for some reason I have 2 wifi on 2.4 and 2 wifi on 5.4.  Not sure why unless one is the satelite.  

Frustrated beyond belief

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, you'll see two since the router and satellite broadcast wifi.

I would do this, turn OFF the satellite. Reset the router and set it up from scratch. Don't set up the satellite. Just yet.

Set manual channel 1, 6 or 11.

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming.

Do some testing with your devices. You might add an IP address reservation one at a time as you conect them to the router. 

Message 11 of 15
RockSolid
Star

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming

How do I do this?  Im not amazingly high tech with IT.  Thats why its frustrating when you pay this kind of money for device and then have to work so hard to make it work.

Why would I have to set up individual IP addresses?  I feel that dumping Netgear is going to be the end result.  Its a terrible problem!!

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I should have pointed that out. Sorry.

You can find those settings under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

You can add IP address reservations under Advanced Tab/LAN setup.

Message 13 of 15
RockSolid
Star

k thanks!

Have no idea how to set up IP addresses

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

This applies to other NG routers however I believe the process is the same for Orbi:

https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7