Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI

Nyirishman1877
Aspirant

ORBI

I Constantly keep having to reboot my orbi router 9pm every night. Since it seems to lose internet connection.   How can I fix this?   Hope someone can help me

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 19

Re: ORBI

You'll have to tell people a bit more.

How do you know that the router loses the Internet and not stuff connected to it?

Is this wifi connections? Wired things?

What about the modem in front of this router?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Message 2 of 19
Nyirishman1877
Aspirant

All of my devices connected to satellites wired or wireless lose connection. I have firmware 2.3.1.44 just updated last week. Had the same issue with the old firmware as well. My cable modem has all solid lights
Message 3 of 19
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Some users with cable modems have better operation of the Orbi configured in AP mode. The switch is accessible via the web management console. http://orbilogin.net/

Message 4 of 19
Nyirishman1877
Aspirant

What is the different between router and access point. Will the speed be different?
Message 5 of 19

@Nyirishman1877 wrote:
What is the different between router and access point.

Router mode means that the Orbi does the router bit, handing out addresses for things on the network, for example.

Access point mode hands this task to your modem/router, leaving the Orbi to handle wifi.

@Nyirishman1877 wrote:
Will the speed be different?

No.

Message 6 of 19
Nyirishman1877
Aspirant

So since I just have a cable modem. I should change from router to access point?
Message 7 of 19

@Nyirishman1877 wrote:
So since I just have a cable modem. I should change from router to access point?

Not necessarily.

What is this cable modem? Make and model?

Is it a modem/router? Does it have a row of LAN ports on the back? Does it also dish out wifi?

Message 8 of 19
Nyirishman1877
Aspirant

Arris tm602

No lan ports and does not have built in wifi
Message 9 of 19

Looks like a standard cable modem with the complication of a telephone socket. No built-in router.

Your Orbi should work in router mode.

It is hard to see how the router can interrupt your connection, especially at the same time. It is easy to blame the router for this sort of thing, but it smells more like something going on on the telephone network.

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, been seeing others with Orbi problems and Arris TM1602 modems. Seen odd isses with these touchstone modems. If you can't seem to get stable operation with the Orbi and this modem, you might change out this modem for a NG CM1000/1100 or Arris 6183/8200 or Motorola MB7420/8600. 2 cents. 

Message 11 of 19
tripletdaddy
Aspirant

My orbi rbr50 with v2.3.1.60 is losing internet every night ~10:00 PM. I can do dns lookups on the router and I can do dns lookups against external i.e. 8.8.8.8 just fine. The orbi just won't let traffic through. I rebooted it, nothing. Thing just starts working again 20 minutes later. The logs seems useless. Am I missing something? I don't see any usefull logging anywhere. Ugh. Any advice is appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

Might be useful to check that there are no "Service Blocks" enabled and double check the "Schedule". Advanced Tab->Security->Block Services (and Schedule).  Since you have access to the admin web interface, also verify that the Home screen shows an internet connection.

I agree completely that if actual internet service was dropping (a) it should show up in the logs, and (b) it would not be possible to do a dns query.

Message 13 of 19
tripletdaddy
Aspirant

Thanks. No service blocks. No scheduled anything. Home screen shows all green. I can even do a speedtest!?! Something screwy with this router. Quite frustrating with zero visibility into anything. Would be nice to see firmware update, or DoS message, or anything. Ugh.

Message 14 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

Is there anything in the log file at all?

Message 15 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

We usually describe "what's connected to what".  i.e. the RBR50 router is wired with ethernet to (brand/model) which is in (router/passthrough) mode, is/is not also providing WiFi... etc.

dns query works.  What about ping or tracert (trace route) Does speedtest on PC/Laptop work?  Non-browser email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.)  Control of any IoT devices?

Message 16 of 19
tripletdaddy
Aspirant

The logs only contained the typical DHCP info. Nothing before the issue.

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 17 of 19
tripletdaddy
Aspirant

Appologies, I was a bit tired last night.

Arris TM1602 Passthrough wired to RBR50 with two satelites. 

NSLookups during outtage conducted on wired PC.

Tracert to yahoo.com successful frm wired PC.
Speedtest conducted via Orbi App on iOS.

Email and Application Traffic not passing.
SmartTV App Streaming Traffic not passing.

IoT not tested

Cams not tested

Printers not tested

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 18 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

The "last resort" for me has always been to get out the paperclip and do a "factory reset", then configure the router from scratch.  If you have done a LOT of customizing device names, assigned IP's, etc. @ekhalil showed a method to copy all that information into a text file, modify it into telnet commands, and enter it all at one time.  If reentering everything is less than a one hour job, that would be faster (the first time).

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7