Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI

SIDFLEIS
Aspirant

ORBI

Using windows 10 home. My Orbi RBK50-100NAS loses the internet for 4 minutes at a time. My INSIGHT ALERTS reports that it went off line and then it comes on line (SEE ATTACHED E-MAIL NOTIFICATION). To isolate the problem to the Orbi, I put an unmanaged switch in after my Arris TM1602A cable modem and shared the input with a Netgear RS8000 Nighthawk. The RS8000 never lost the internet connection.  Is there some bios update I am missing? I have the logs which I can e-mail upon request. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI

This is the source of my confusion. Arris modem to dumb switch to two routers. 

Cascading routers I understand. Connecting both to one modem I do not. 

@Mstrbig wrote:

The Arris TM1602A ISP modem gives the 1 IP address needed to setup the main router. From there you can connect multiple routers, to the main router, without the family being interrupted. Before I switched to a Mesh system, I had 3 routers in my home, that were originally setup as separate networks, before I turned them into access points. 

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 18

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@SIDFLEIS wrote:

Using windows 10 home. My Orbi RBK50-100NAS loses the internet for 4 minutes at a time. My INSIGHT ALERTS reports that it went off line and then it comes on line (SEE ATTACHED E-MAIL NOTIFICATION). To isolate the problem to the Orbi, I put an unmanaged switch in after my Arris TM1602A cable modem and shared the input with a Netgear RS8000 Nighthawk. The RS8000 never lost the internet connection.  Is there some bios update I am missing? I have the logs which I can e-mail upon request. 

Would love to hear more about how you set up the Insight Alert. (URL for web site?)

Am a bit confused about the experiment.

This sounds like both the Orbi and the Nighthawk will be sending DHCP requests to the ISP.  Normally, the ISP associates the MAC address with the IP adddress which has  been assigned to the customer.  Having two routers do DHCP requests should be a massive conflict.

p.s. I did not find a Nighthawk RS8000 and am assuming that was a typo for R8000?

Message 2 of 18
SIDFLEIS
Aspirant

Thank you for helping. Yes, correct. it is the R8000. Not having problems with getting internet access to either of the Routers except the Orbi disconnects from the internet and I get warned by E-mail when my Ready NAS 214 (another Netgear product) can't connect to the Netgear Cloud. I see disconnected messages and then reconnected messages as I was attached to the first message. Problem has been going on for several months. I buy Netgear high performance products and shouldn't have to accept erratic performance. Netgear Genie tried to fix the router and the diagnostics are attached if it helps.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 18
SIDFLEIS
Aspirant

ORBI RBK50-100NAS

You asked how I got  notified that  I was offline. The e-mail link is below. Only can attach one doc at a time. 

Message 4 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@SIDFLEIS wrote:

my Ready NAS 214 (another Netgear product) can't connect to the Netgear Cloud. I see disconnected messages and then reconnected messages as I was attached to the first message.

Thanks for explaining about the Ready NAS.

I remain totally mystified why having two routers connected to one modem functions at all.  Do both the Orbi and the R7000 report the same Public IP address on their WAN connection?

Message 5 of 18
SIDFLEIS
Aspirant

ORBI RBK50-100NAS

For more diagnostic tools, please see attached logs. Maybe it can tell you what was happening and why the internet gets dropped.

Message 6 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI RBK50-100NAS

Very interesting message ("internet connected").  I checked my Orbi logs (OCD - I keep them all.)  I had a bunch of these messages back in April that all seemed to be connected with a DDNS issue.  Zero times since then (May, June, July).

Are both the Orbi and the R8000 providing WiFi?

Message 7 of 18
SIDFLEIS
Aspirant

I am with Optimum/Cablevision and have a Arris modem that provides cable, internet and phone. Yes I have 2 Netgear routers connected with a switch to the modem and i am getting internet on both. I am doing it to isolate a Mocha network with 5 IP addresses for TV's onto a dedicated modem. Mocha should perform like a wired ethernet through cable, but it was having issues with stumbling video and CC from both the internet and from DVR's on the network when connected to the ORBI. Isolation to the R8000 seemed to do the trick without robbing bandwidth from the 20 other devices (cell phones, nest, ring, Kindle you name it) connected to the ORBI with a supporting satellite.

I don't know what you mean by a DDNS issue? from my logs can you tell if that is the same problem I am having? 

Message 8 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@SIDFLEIS wrote:

I am with Optimum/Cablevision and have a Arris modem that provides cable, internet and phone. Yes I have 2 Netgear routers connected with a switch to the modem and i am getting internet on both. I am doing it to isolate a Mocha network with 5 IP addresses for TV's onto a dedicated modem. Mocha should perform like a wired ethernet through cable, but it was having issues with stumbling video and CC from both the internet and from DVR's on the network when connected to the ORBI. Isolation to the R8000 seemed to do the trick without robbing bandwidth from the 20 other devices (cell phones, nest, ring, Kindle you name it) connected to the ORBI with a supporting satellite.

I don't know what you mean by a DDNS issue? from my logs can you tell if that is the same problem I am having? 

To isolate the MoCHA network to a separate modem or router?  Are these two routers assigning IP addresses in the same IP subnet?

Sorry for the confusion about DDNS.  My main point was that since April, my Orbi has never logged one of those "internet connection" messages, and that includes when it was rebooted 57 days ago.

Message 9 of 18
Mstrbig
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

I remain totally mystified why having two routers connected to one modem functions at all.  Do both the Orbi and the R7000 report the same Public IP address on their WAN connection?

If the main DHCP modem/router is capable of setting up multiple IP addresses, unlike an ISP modem that only distributes 1, you can have many multiple routers connected to the same Modem/Router. Each one will be assigned a separate IP address, that can be set to static. And then each router can have it's own subnet to have separate networks. We do this in office environments when 1 Internet service is coming into a building and office tenants are sharing the same service. And yes if the ISP is sending only one IP address, then everyone shares the same public IP address, just like every device in your home shares the same public IP address.

Message 10 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

This situation involves an Arris TM1602A, residential class modem.  As far as I can tell, it provides no DHCP capability.

I worked at an organization with over 5,000 computers sharing one public IP, and it had multiple internet feeds.

I am just really surprised that this is working.  Am tempted to try it myself, but the family would not be tolerant of any network interruption.

Message 11 of 18
Mstrbig
Master

The Arris TM1602A ISP modem gives the 1 IP address needed to setup the main router. From there you can connect multiple routers, to the main router, without the family being interrupted. Before I switched to a Mesh system, I had 3 routers in my home, that were originally setup as separate networks, before I turned them into access points. 

Message 12 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

This is the source of my confusion. Arris modem to dumb switch to two routers. 

Cascading routers I understand. Connecting both to one modem I do not. 

@Mstrbig wrote:

Message 13 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

That wouldn't work. For the 2nd router to get any kind of internet services, one of the routers needs to be behind the other other. So, Modem 2 1st router, switch in between if needed, then 2 2nd router. Would be double NAT however the 1st router could be configured for it's DMZ for the 2nd router. Something I do on occasion. 

Message 14 of 18
SIDFLEIS
Aspirant

Thanks for your time and info. I was getting internet on 2 routers each independently attached to the modem through a dumb switch. Was OK for about a month but I was gettng flaky internet start and stop on the ORBI which I could tell from the Logs. Yesterday, it failed completly and I had to connect the R8000 to a LAN port on the ORBI as everyone is recommending.

Message 15 of 18
SIDFLEIS
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. I connected the R8000 through a LAN port on my ORBI as you suggested. After sort of working for a month, the routers connected directly to the modem failed completely yesterday. 

Message 16 of 18
SIDFLEIS
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. I connected my R8000 Nighthawk X6 to a LAN port on the ORBI.  Is there any special settings I should use? Isolating a Mocha network only on the R8000 and by WPS password eliminating anthing else from logging onto that router. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a reason your using a 2nd router? 

The Orbi should be all that is needed. 

Possible your R series router could be faulty. 

I would run the Orbi system alone with out the R series router online and see if the problem returns. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7