Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI

BillG9
Follower

ORBI

Spoiler

How do I connect my securety cameras with port forwarding?

Message 1 of 5
antinode
Guru

Re: ORBI

> How do I connect my securety cameras with port forwarding?

With my weak psychic powers, I have little to no idea what your
router is, or what your (unspecified) "my securety cameras" might be.

You also seem to have missed the ORBI forums:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/ct-p/home-orbi

But, even there, a better description of your gizmos (actual maker and
model number, firmware version, and so on) couldn't hurt.

A simple Web search for keywords like, say:
      camera port forwarding
might find a page or two, too.  Most routers handle this stuff in very
similar ways, so it should be possible to translate almost any example
to your (unspecified) ORBI router.

Message 2 of 5

You don't say which model of the Orbi you own, but you might get better answers if you put your questions in the appropriate section of this user-to-user self-support forum:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

Orbi WiFi System - NETGEAR Communities

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Port Forwarding is not needed with cameras. Just enable uPnP and connect your cameras using there setup wizards or software. I have 3 wireless cameras that are connected to the routers main wireless SSID name and Password. I don't use WPS. 

@BillG9wrote:
Spoiler

How do I connect my securety cameras with port forwarding?

Message 4 of 5
insecticide
Tutor

If you port forward the camera(s) they will be exposed on the internet and can be attacked (cameras aren't exactly know to be secure or updated).  I would use the VPN capability built into the Orbi and use a VPN client to tunnel through to your internal network so you can see all cameras on your network with one configuration.  Of course you need a VPN client on your device like OpenVPN with the configuration installed from the router VPN.  Also may need DDNS configured to keep OpenVPN embedded in the router aware of your public IP.

If you want to port forward each camera, you will need a port forwarding configuration for each camera by finding out which port(s)/protocols(s) they communicate on and configuring those in the router Advanced->Advanced Setup->Port Forwarding and pointing to the internal IP address of the camera.  But then you also need a public static IP ($) or some sort of domain name ($) to DDNS working on the camea or router so that when you try to connect to the camera via your domain name ($) it can send the traffic back to the right (public) IP.   I suggest using the router DDNS and VPN instead in the Advanced Setup - more secure, built in and less hassle.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7