Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI45 authentication problem

Kirlieq
Aspirant

ORBI45 authentication problem

My kids are trying to join each other in the new Terraria update from their mobile devices and are being asked authentication questions that I assume I have to answer as the account holder (High School graduation year and youngest brother's first name), but when I answer them it says not valid.  Any suggestions?  Change the authentication questions?  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: ORBI45 authentication problem

@Kirlieq wrote:

My kids are trying to join each other in the new Terraria update from their mobile devices and are being asked authentication questions that I assume I have to answer as the account holder (High School graduation year and youngest brother's first name), but when I answer them it says not valid.  Any suggestions?  Change the authentication questions?  

Usually those types of security questions are answered during the account setup.

Message 2 of 12
Kirlieq
Aspirant

It's been awhile since I set it up and I assume I selected the questions and entered the answers.  When I enter the correct answers, it's not accepting my answers.  

Message 3 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Kirlieq wrote:

It's been awhile since I set it up and I assume I selected the questions and entered the answers.  When I enter the correct answers, it's not accepting my answers.  

In a case like this, it's best to contact Terraria support.  Sometimes if you enter a certain number of incorrect responses, it may lock you out of the account.

Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

Is it the Terraria site asking for this or the netgear gui asking these questions?

From you putting ORBI45 in the title, it makes it look like you left the ssid with the factory ssid. If you didn't setup security quesions, it'll still ask for them and you are unable to put in correct responses because they weren't setup correctly.  Just trying to figure out exactly what is going on.

Are you able to log into the orbi gui? routerlogin.net? or is this where the issue lies?

Message 5 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@plemans wrote:

Is it the Terraria site asking for this or the netgear gui asking these questions?

From you putting ORBI45 in the title, it makes it look like you left the ssid with the factory ssid. If you didn't setup security quesions, it'll still ask for them and you are unable to put in correct responses because they weren't setup correctly.  Just trying to figure out exactly what is going on.

Are you able to log into the orbi gui? routerlogin.net? or is this where the issue lies?

OP said this..."My kids are trying to join each other in the new Terraria update from their mobile devices "

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

@Retired_Member Just made me wonder why the OP is posting to the netgear forums if its an issue with Terraria.  If its an issue with terraria, your response is correct. with that said, I have seen orbi act a bit wonky and asking for router login info when accessing certain sites. I haven't experienced it in a while but I have experienced it. 

Message 7 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@plemans wrote:

@Retired_Member Just made me wonder why the OP is posting to the netgear forums if its an issue with Terraria.  If its an issue with terraria, your response is correct. with that said, I have seen orbi act a bit wonky and asking for router login info when accessing certain sites. I haven't experienced it in a while but I have experienced it. 

yes...I thought the same.  Although it's a valid question, if even fact it deals specifically with the Terraria site, it probably should have been posted else where.  Thanks

Message 8 of 12
Kirlieq
Aspirant

I have figured out that what I did wrong was change Orbi settings from router to access point when I should not have (I need a seriously large Computers for Dummies book!).  After I did that, I no longer had internet access (even with an ethernet cable installed from the Orbi to the computer- can't figure that out.)  Long story short, I reset the Orbi to factory settings and reinstalled it, BUUUUT now I still have no wifi except to my desktop and iPhone.  By all appearances, the Orbi is working (no lights on) and iPad indicates that it is connected to the Orbi, but I don't actually have a connection on my iPad.  My laptop, my kids' computers and their iPad cannot connect.  I'm really frustrated.  Somewhere along the way, I changed the authentication questions and answers, but now, when I try to log in on orbilogin.com or orbilogin.net, I get a login window for Microsoft Edge and I have tried all of the UID/PW combinations that I can think of, but can't get logged on to make sure the router is now set to router and not still on access point.  After a few attempts, I get the authentication questions that I had changed and I put in the correct answers, but it gets me no-where.  So frustrated.  I'm thinking I'll look into a different brand.  

Message 9 of 12
Kirlieq
Aspirant

It's either Microsoft Edge or netgear asking, but I'm fairly certain its not Terraria.  Reason is as I'm trying to get wifi back and login to orbi, I'm getting Microsoft Edge login window, can't get in on that and after a few attempts, I get the authentication questions again.  It was my son who originally got the questions and I don't know how he got there.    

Message 10 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Kirlieq wrote:

It's either Microsoft Edge or netgear asking, but I'm fairly certain its not Terraria.  Reason is as I'm trying to get wifi back and login to orbi, I'm getting Microsoft Edge login window, can't get in on that and after a few attempts, I get the authentication questions again.  It was my son who originally got the questions and I don't know how he got there.    

WOW....you may want to start form the beginning.

The only thing I can offer is that there was another user here that had a similar problem with security questions.  He/she was using Chrome browser.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-password-recovery-failure/m-p/1788627#M68375 

Your OP stated the kids were trying.......were they using Chrome?

Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

Agree with @Retired_Member on starting back from the beginning. I'd redo the reset 1 more time. On rare occassions, I've needed that 2nd reset to get things running smoothly.  Plus once you get it setup, make sure your firmware is the latest. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7