Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI50 networking

Markflan
Aspirant

ORBI50 networking

Hi There, I have the ORBI50 router and satellite and we have just built another room at the very back of the garden but being it’s so far away another satellite won’t see the house router/satellite so I ran a cable from the router to this new building but can I use another satellite from this cable as I only see that the Ethernet ports are only to connect external devices ? So is there something else I can use to have both wired and wireless in this building ? Would a second router work ?

Many thanks
Mark
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: ORBI50 networking

You can use a wired backhaul between your RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite.  Plug the cable into one of the LAN ports of the router and the first LAN port on the satellite and reboot the satellite.  The web UI will show it using a wired backhaul for the satellite in the Attached Devices menu instead of the 5GHz WiFi backhaul.

If possible, do not use a switch between the router and satellite.  If you do use a network switch, do not use a green switch (one that saves power by disabling/throttling ports).

See https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... for NG's KB article on doing this.

View solution in original post

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 3

All Replies
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

You can use a wired backhaul between your RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite.  Plug the cable into one of the LAN ports of the router and the first LAN port on the satellite and reboot the satellite.  The web UI will show it using a wired backhaul for the satellite in the Attached Devices menu instead of the 5GHz WiFi backhaul.

If possible, do not use a switch between the router and satellite.  If you do use a network switch, do not use a green switch (one that saves power by disabling/throttling ports).

See https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... for NG's KB article on doing this.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 3
Markflan
Aspirant

Hi there

Many thanks for the quick reply and that’s perfect

Many thanks
Mark
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats