Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORI RBS50 and RBS50Y Firmware update after RBR50 update

Knut08
Aspirant

ORI RBS50 and RBS50Y Firmware update after RBR50 update

I've updated the router RBR50 firmware to V2.3.5.30 before updating the firmware of the Satellites which are still on V2.3.0.28 and V2.3.1.60, respectively. While the satellites show connected in the router's webinterface (attached devices), they are "waiting for connection" on the firmware page. Under "Manual Update" no satellite appears. Also, on the Orbi ios app all satellites show a pink indicator, meaning not connected. I suppose the latter might be true because of the missing firmware update but I'm not sure. After searching many forums I didn't find a clear answer on how I can update the firmware of the satellites. Any advice from the community?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORI RBS50 and RBS50Y Firmware update after RBR50 update

You need to update the RBS and RBSY before updating the RBR. Keep this in mind for future updates. 

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS and RBSY. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

When the satellites are reset, wait about 5 minute. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. I believe the IP address of the satellite will be 192.168.1.250. You can look at the network status connection properties to see what the GATEWAY IP address is to verify. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Do this for both satellites. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

@Knut08 wrote:

I've updated the router RBR50 firmware to V2.3.5.30 before updating the firmware of the Satellites which are still on V2.3.0.28 and V2.3.1.60, respectively. While the satellites show connected in the router's webinterface (attached devices), they are "waiting for connection" on the firmware page. Under "Manual Update" no satellite appears. Also, on the Orbi ios app all satellites show a pink indicator, meaning not connected. I suppose the latter might be true because of the missing firmware update but I'm not sure. After searching many forums I didn't find a clear answer on how I can update the firmware of the satellites. Any advice from the community?

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

When you're looking at the attached devices page on the browser, do they show connected and an ip address? if so, you can log into them via that ip address and manually update them via their own navigation page. 

Message 3 of 7
Knut08
Aspirant

All,

I was able to update the firmware of three RBS50 to 2.3.5.30 using either of your methods, but the outdoor satellite RBS50Y refuses to sync (ends in magenta) even after factory reset, so I cannot access the interface via IP address and it doesn't have LAN ports. I have not done a reset of the RBR50 yet to resync with the upgraded RBS50 since I intended to have the RBS50Y upgraded first. Any ideas, i.e. should I downgrade the FW of the RBR50 to a version prior to 2.3.5.30?

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

try shutting off all the satellites and only leaving the router on. Log into the router and if the RBS50Y shows up in the attached devices page, click on it. There's a disable sync function that might be enabled or you can potentially delete it from there. Then try moving the RBS50Y closer to the main router and doing the setup. 

Message 5 of 7
Knut08
Aspirant

Unfortunately no luck at all. All Satellites disconnected and I had the RBS50Y already removed from connected Satellites / basic page / attached devices. I varied the distance between RBS50Y and RBR50 from 12 feet to 6 feet to 3 feed. The white LED on the RBS50Y keeps blinking since two hours.

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Time for the paperclip.  Reset the RBS50Y to factory and start over.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7