Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Obri in AP mode - firmware and such

mickds
Follower

Obri in AP mode - firmware and such

Hi

Just a quick note one people that might be struggling with a few setup issues.

I purchased the 3 pack just a couple of days ago and was trying to cope with setting it up. I am sure that for majority of people everything works great. But some advanced and unusual setups make small problems become rather big.

The main issue resolves around Router vs AP mode of the main unit.

Clearly if you have your main unit next to your modem somewhere in your home it's all great. You can connect your modem to your RBR20 and set it to do all your simple routing. Everything works great. But my Internet is delivered to my networking patch panel in the garage. I also rely on a PFSense unit to do all my routing. So naturally I needed to set by RBR20 in AP mode.

And that kind of breaks a few things.

1. You can no longer access the system by going to orbilogin.net or orbilogin.com as the relevant DNS override do not exist on the main router. Once I understood this I was able to create host / domain overwrites in my DNS resolved to push those host names to the RBR's IP.

2. Satellites take forever to register. Because the main unit can no longer track those by their MAC address the whole process take a lot longer. Likewise establishing a wired connection between a satellite and main station took around 12 hours. I do not understand how this mechamism works but it sure is affected by AP mode.

3. Firmware update on satellites is impossible from the main unit's administration page. Even through the satellites eventually are listed in the attached devices list they will never appear in the satellite list in Firmware update section. There is absolutely no way to do this manually form the station.

Having finally understood the process I found a workaround.

You need to access each station individually.

So to perform a firmware upgrade on a satellite you need to first locate its IP address on your main router's DHCP lease list.

Use that IP address and navigate to it in your browser. The username / password should be identical to your main unit. Once inside simply click the "Firmware update" link in the left menu, upload the .img file corresponding to RBS20 release and proceed with the update. Do the same for all your satellites registered on your network.

Hope some of this is helpful to you. Likewise I hope Netgear will make their help and troubleshooting pages a little bit more aware of this issue.

Cheers, M

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7