Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Observations regarding the built-in (ookla) speed test

guzzijason
Apprentice

Observations regarding the built-in (ookla) speed test

I've got Gig broadband (from Xfinity), and when I connect directly to my router with an ethernet cable, I can get download speeds of 900+ Mbps using both speedtest.xfinity.com and http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest .

However, the built-in (ookla) speed test on the Orbi usually only sees ~420 Mbps. My assumption is that either the speed test isn't tuned for high bandwith, or it is automatically choosing ookla test servers that are too far away to be accurate. So, the built-in speed test may not be accurate for Gig speeds.

Have any Gig subscribers ever gotten full Gig results from the built-in test? Just curious.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: Observations regarding the built-in (ookla) speed test

I'm not an Xfinity Gig customer, but I know from this forum that the QOS/Speedtest page of the ORBI software is broken! Do not use the ORBI built-in Speedtest. If you need to do a speed test use an external test on another web browser or a mobile device. As far as I know the Speedtest is still causing issues in the current firmware.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7