Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Odd Ping bug I have discovered

RedBatman89
Guide

Odd Ping bug I have discovered

Okay so this is going to sound odd but here it goes. So I decided to the other day to do some random ping testing to see what my MS are between devices. Well for know my ASUS ROG laptop is connected wirlessly to my Orbi router and I had decided to ping my two satellites. It went smoothly and I had begun to test some my other deivces. Well the next day I hd deicided to test my sattleties again and my first satellite was giving me a Destination host unreachable, yet my second one was given me a ping ms value. So I tried it again and same result. So then I had deicded to power cycle the one satellite that was givning me the issue. A few hours later when I got back home it was fine again. But I had decided to test it when my laptop had a connection to the satellites themsevles. Sure enough no issues and everything is fine.

Later on though it happened to me again and this time I had deicded to try it with the satellites this time too. Well my satellites are fine but this time its my second satellite giving me the destanation host unreachable on CMD rather than my first one. I had even tried it on my phone and I wasn't having any issues on it at first but then later it would too, of course by that time my computer began to ping both satellites when connected to the router again.

So here is the jist of it, when I'm connected to my main orbi router I will get most of the time a good ping but at times I will be greated with Destanation host is unreachable. It even happens when I try to ping other devices that are connected to that partiucular satellite. Yet my satellites will give me ping results everytime I'am connected to them and no issues so its just with the main unit. 

Now my interent still works and I have no issues with connection, be it the main unit or the satellites. I know this probably isnt a top priority but just throwing this out there for a bug report. My orbi unit is a rbk23 with the latest firmware. 

Message 1 of 6
RedBatman89
Guide

Re: Odd Ping bug I have discovered

Okay so its more than that now. Its more of a network sharing bug. I noticed when I had looked on my network that my Raspberry pi ip wasn't showing when my laptop was connected to the router when it did this bug again. So I coundn't add roms ulness I connected to one of the sattlities. Its odd. Maybe a new firmware update should fix network sharing visibility. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@RedBatman89 wrote:

my Raspberry pi ip wasn't showing when my laptop was connected to the router when it did this bug again.

Can you please clarify "wasn't showing"?  i.e. Did not respond to ping?  Was not present on the Attached Devices display?

Message 3 of 6
RedBatman89
Guide

@CrimpOn wrote:

@RedBatman89 wrote:

my Raspberry pi ip wasn't showing when my laptop was connected to the router when it did this bug again.

Can you please clarify "wasn't showing"?  i.e. Did not respond to ping?  Was not present on the Attached Devices display?

Well it was showing in the Attached Devices Display on the orbi login page but what I ment was for network like you would see in windows explorer on your PC. 

Let me provide another example, I have a roku that connects to my first sattelite, well I sometimes use the roku app on my phone as a roku remote. My phone was coennected to the orbi router on the wifi and my roku wasn't showing up on my phone, Well I had disconnected and reconnected my phone to my secound satteltie and this time the phone saw the roku and was able to connect. 

So in that since for some reason my devices will get kinda finiky sometimes and not see each other if one deivce is connected to the router and one on a sattleite, and its either the first or sometimes secound sattlilte this happens too. But If a deivce is already connected to a sattllite then it has no issues with seeing other devices on the netowrk. Thats what I'm saying, 

Message 4 of 6
billprice
Aspirant

I have this exact same problem!

I have an ORBI RBR40 with two RBS40 satellites.  I have a printer and remote server plugged into one of the satellites, but the printer constantly goes to 'Offline' and the network shares disconnect from the remote server.

I try to ping the server or the printer and get 'Destination host unreachable' or 'Request Timed Out'.

So far the only fix I have found is to reboot the network.

PLEASE HELP!

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@billprice wrote:

I have this exact same problem!

I have an ORBI RBR40 with two RBS40 satellites.  I have a printer and remote server plugged into one of the satellites, but the printer constantly goes to 'Offline' and the network shares disconnect from the remote server.

I try to ping the server or the printer and get 'Destination host unreachable' or 'Request Timed Out'.

So far the only fix I have found is to reboot the network.

PLEASE HELP!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7