Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Of 13 devices connected to our RBR50, 3 suddenly lose access to the Internet

shankara
Tutor

Of 13 devices connected to our RBR50, 3 suddenly lose access to the Internet

We are having a strange problem with our Orbi RBK50 system (RBR50 main router and RBS50 satellite) since yesterday morning, and I am praying that someone on these forums will help. 

We have been using our Orbi system at our home for close to two years now. There are 13 devices that are usually connected to these routers. Of these 13 devices, 3 devices – an iPhone Xs, an iPhone SE, and an iPad Pro – suddenly lost their Internet access yesterday. Other devices are working fine.

• The iPhones and the iPad do connect to the Orbi and get an IP address, but they cannot connect to the Internet. When I try to open a web site in the Safari browser on these devices, I get a "This connection is not private" message. When I tap under the message to see details, it shows a certificate from www.routerlogin.net, with "Not Trusted" written underneath. When I tap to see more details, I see that this certificate is associated with Netgear, no matter what web site I am trying to access. 
  • Even when I am not trying to access any web sites on these devices, I keep getting a "Cannot Verify Server Identity" pop-up for random web sites such as doodle.com that I am not even trying to access. If I dismiss the pop-up, it merely comes back again.
  • These three devices work well with the ISP-supplied WiFi router on the same optical fiber connection. 
  • I updated the iOS from 14 to 15 on one of the iPhones this morning. The problem persists after the upgrade. 
  • I restarted the Orbi router. No luck 
  • Other devices, which also include some Apple devices such as iPad, Apple TV, and HomePod, are able to connect to the Internet via the Orbi without any problems.

Could someone please help me understand what sorcery is going on here? Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
shankara
Tutor

Re: Of 13 devices connected to our RBR50, 3 suddenly lose access to the Internet

Thanks for the response! 

• I have firmware version 2.7.3.22.
  • My router model is JCOW401 from Jio Fiber. (I am in India. The router uses an optical fibre network.)
  • Armor or Circle not enabled.
  • This is an interesting point. The iPhones/iPads have a "Private Address" setting. When I disable this, my devices have no problems accessing the Internet via the Orbi. What is puzzling though, is that some of our i-devices do not need this, even if they also use the same version of iOS/iPadOS. Not sure what's going on.
  • Other devices work OK and remain connected. 

So disabling the private address setting seems to be a solution for now. But I wish I understood what's happening.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Of 13 devices connected to our RBR50, 3 suddenly lose access to the Internet

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is Armor or Circle enabled? 

Apple has new security features that now randomly chage the MAC addresses on those devices. Something you might try to disable and see if that helps. 

Do other devices connect ok and keep connected? 

Message 2 of 4
shankara
Tutor

Thanks for the response! 

• I have firmware version 2.7.3.22.
  • My router model is JCOW401 from Jio Fiber. (I am in India. The router uses an optical fibre network.)
  • Armor or Circle not enabled.
  • This is an interesting point. The iPhones/iPads have a "Private Address" setting. When I disable this, my devices have no problems accessing the Internet via the Orbi. What is puzzling though, is that some of our i-devices do not need this, even if they also use the same version of iOS/iPadOS. Not sure what's going on.
  • Other devices work OK and remain connected. 

So disabling the private address setting seems to be a solution for now. But I wish I understood what's happening.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact Apple and asks them about there features.

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7