Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

On Orbi RBR50/RBS50 network, devices connect to further/weaker satellites and skip over RBR50

Rmngg
Aspirant

On Orbi RBR50/RBS50 network, devices connect to further/weaker satellites and skip over RBR50

First, I am not really familiar with the SW in the ORBI, so looking for a layman's simple solution if available.  I have an RBR50 and 3 satellites(star config), All with the latest code per the update check.  When connecting new devices or just looking at attached devices on the app, I often see a weak signal indication and that the device is connected to an ORBI further away.  What causes this, and more important, how best to redirect the device to an Orbi closer?  Thanks!!

Hardware Version   RBR50

Firmware Version   V2.7.4.24

GUI Language Version   V1.0.0.423
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: On Orbi RBR50/RBS50 network, devices connect to further/weaker satellites and skip over RBR50

This situation is in the Top Five questions asked on the forum, and there is no obvious or simple solution.

It is really clear that the device initiates connection with a specific WiFi access point.  I used Wireshark in "monitor mode" to observe the behavior of my Orbi system. Every access point uses Beacon Frames to broadcast the WiFi SSID on both 2.4G and 5G WiFi channels between 5 and 10 times per second.  (If the guest network is enabled, every one of the WiFi access points also broadcasts the guest SSID on both 2.4G and 5G.)  When a new WiFi device is powered up, software in the device WiFi drivers looks at the various WiFi channels (1-11 for 2.4G. other channels for 5G), compares what it finds against the WiFi SSIDs that it knows a password for, and then selects one to send an Association Request to.

I have watched it happen.

One situation is pretty clear.  When the entire mesh network starts up, such as after a power failure, the router begins broadcasting SSIDs before any of the satellites.  And this can cause one sort of problem:  Devices that are not expected to be mobile, such as TVs, cameras, speakers, printers, garage door openers, etc. will see the Beacon Frames from the router first and may associate with the router before the other WiFi access points are even broadcasting. If the device WiFi software is designed to quit looking once it has connected, this can be a problem that can be solved by powering off the device and then starting it again.  (Totally power off.  Not like use the TV remote to turn off the picture.  The TV remains on even when the picture is off.)

What is not clear at all is why some devices would choose a WiFi access point with a worse signal over one with a strong signal when it is first turned on.

Message 2 of 3
Jeffgear
Luminary

Re: On Orbi RBR50/RBS50 network, devices connect to further/weaker satellites and skip over RBR50

I must be quite lucky with my plethora of smart devices and appliances inc a LG TV as they first initially associated with my router on a full mesh reboot but over a few days they re associated with their closest satellite. I think the LG TV only did this after it had rebooted for its own update but my other smart home devices tethered to only 2.4Ghz still re-associated to their closest satellite. The mobile Apple devices (iPads and iPhones) roam quite freely between satellites, but not as quickly as I'd expect when moving rooms, taking a while to show up on another satellite, but that could be the Orbi app's refresh lag. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7