Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

On V 2.3.1.44 and too scared to Update?

Ulairi
Luminary

On V 2.3.1.44 and too scared to Update?

Any one else out there staying with V 2.3.1.44 (the last version subject to auto update) and are now too nervous to elect for subsequent updates.

I had a lot of problems with Orbi over the first year of ownership (speed throttling, disconnects and the utlimately system bricking itself after a power interuption) but it's been rock solid since a warranty replacement of the hardware and staying at V 2.3.1.44 approx five months ago. 

There's a lot of brave or foolhardy folk on this forum who (in many cases) opt for the latest update, often against their better judedgement, and then end up posting their regrets.  

How many people oit there, like me, who have been so traumatised by their Orbi experience that once they get stability they won't contemplate taking further updates?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
Steedvlx600
Luminary

Re: On V 2.3.1.44 and too scared to Update?

Two-time Orbi Autoupdate nightmare  survivor here.

My motto: If it ain't broke... don't fix it... especially if it's a NG firmware update. Wait and read what issues others are having and, for the solutions to those issues to trickle in.
If everything is working fine and, the new version offers nothing new and improved... Why take the risk?

The rub is, however, 2.3.1.60 does have some pretty significant stability fixes baked in.

So, I let it update last week. And, it worked fine on BOTH of my Orbi RBK50 systems (Home and Office)
YMMV

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

The best way to update, should you choose to do so, would be to manually download the FW files for the RBS and RBR. Update the RBS first then the RBR lastly. Factory reset the entire system then setup from scratch. Save off a new back up configuration to file after getting the system setup. You'll be good after that. 

@Ulairi wrote:

Any one else out there staying with V 2.3.1.44 (the last version subject to auto update) and are now too nervous to elect for subsequent updates.

I had a lot of problems with Orbi over the first year of ownership (speed throttling, disconnects and the utlimately system bricking itself after a power interuption) but it's been rock solid since a warranty replacement of the hardware and staying at V 2.3.1.44 approx five months ago. 

There's a lot of brave or foolhardy folk on this forum who (in many cases) opt for the latest update, often against their better judedgement, and then end up posting their regrets.  

How many people oit there, like me, who have been so traumatised by their Orbi experience that once they get stability they won't contemplate taking further updates?

Message 3 of 4
TomMac
Guru

Do agree that the best way to update is manual...

That being said, I tried the auto update and all went well to the new .60 version and no issues what so ever.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7