Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

One Device Connected to 2.4G

MartinPF
Aspirant

One Device Connected to 2.4G

I have a device that can only connect to 2.4G band. Can I manually select the 2.4G Band for a specific device.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
ekhalil
Master

Re: One Device Connected to 2.4G

Orbi broadcasts one SSID for both bands. If the device only supports 2.4 GHz then it will see Orbi's SSID but will only attach to ´the 2.4 GHz band.

Message 2 of 10
MartinPF
Aspirant

My simple device (wifi controller for under cabinet lighting) uses Smart Life app (on Google play) and it only supports 2.4G and when I try to connect to the network is says it cannot because it only supports 2.4G.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 10
ekhalil
Master

Please try to -temporarly- disable the SSID broadcast for the 5 GHz, and try to attach the Smart Life device.

The SSID boardcast settings can be found under advanced wireless settings in the web GUI.

Message 4 of 10
Barrney
Aspirant

I had this problem & resolved it.

After reading all the threads about telnet to the Orbi, I decided for me that was not the way to go.

Purchased a TP-Link RE-205 range extender, quite inexpensive (old technolody)

Set it up from a laptop:

"Set Up the Extender as an Access Point"

During this setup I enabled 2.4G only, and named different SSID from the Orbi.

After this I connected it by ethernet to my Orbi satelite.

I then connect my device to the TP-Link. ( a RainBird irrigation controller which will only connect to 2.4G )

All good now!

BTW I had tried hiding the 5G SSID on the Orbi (as suggested else but thie solution didn't work for me.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ths disabling of the 5G ssid should have worked. You would have had to reboot your mobile setup device to get it connect to the 2.4Ghz SSID broadcast probably. Glad you got it setup though.

Enjoy. 

@MartinPF wrote:

My simple device (wifi controller for under cabinet lighting) uses Smart Life app (on Google play) and it only supports 2.4G and when I try to connect to the network is says it cannot because it only supports 2.4G.

Message 6 of 10
Barrney
Aspirant

" You would have had to reboot your mobile setup device to get it connect to the 2.4Ghz SSID broadcast probably."

Yes, I tried that, the RainBird couldn't find the system!

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What setup mobile device are you using to get the Rainbird device setup? Phone or Pad? 

@Barrney wrote:

" You would have had to reboot your mobile setup device to get it connect to the 2.4Ghz SSID broadcast probably."

Yes, I tried that, the RainBird couldn't find the system!

Message 8 of 10
Barrney
Aspirant

Using iPhone XS.

When using the RainBird app, it finds all my neighbouring 2.4G networks, but not the Orbi.

Finds the TP-Link straight away.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Well if the phone was reconnected to the Orbi after the 5G was disabled, the app should have found the device. One possible device mfr that should help look into this. We have seen this before and the main issue is that these IoT device Mfr fail to realized that there are these single SSID supporting routers out now days which both include each freqency. When the setup phone is on 5Ghz and the IoT only supports 2.4Ghz, it's the Mfr IoT setup software that is limited or restricted to only working on 2.4Ghz, when the phones and pads support both freqencies while the device only sees 2.4Ghz. This setup software is the problem. So others have said that disabling of the 5G SSID on Orbi has helped them get there 2.4Ghz IoTs going. Possible this Mfr isn't aware or hasn't made any attempt to have there products work with Orbi...something to let them know about. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7