Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: One Orbi router RBR20 in the same house with one cable provider modem, 2 wifi networks

Bremster
Aspirant

One Orbi router RBR20 in the same house with one cable provider modem, 2 wifi networks

Message 1 of 4
Bremster
Aspirant

Re: One Orbi router RBR20 in the same house with one cable provider modem, 2 wifi networks

Connected a ORBI routerRBR20 via a ethernet cable from the cable companies modem to a remote masterbedroom (large house) the remainder of the house has wifi from cable supplier modem.  This creates problems, with wireless printer (location signal too weak from ORBI).  I think I have to get another satalite unless someone has another suggestion.  I have a ethernet outlet close to the printer, I could use another Netgear access point EX6150 (I have one) device to create wifi network that would be the same as the rest of house.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Your not using any satellites with your system? 

Having two wifi networks can be problematic. 

The channels should be far appart between the two, Orbi on channel 11 on 2.4Ghz and EX on channel 1. 

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@Bremster wrote:

I have a ethernet outlet close to the printer, I could use another Netgear access point EX6150 (I have one) device to create wifi network that would be the same as the rest of house.

Ordinarily, people do not purchase a "mesh system" and have only a single device (the base router).  Sort of defeats the purpose of investing in mesh.  The goal is usually to have a single Wi-Fi network spanning the entire house.  Not that what you are doing is wrong, just unusual.

It is not clear from the description whether the wireless printer gets a good Wi-Fi connection from the cable company modem Wi-Fi.

It would also be useful to know if your Orbi is running in "router" or "Access Point" mode.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7