Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

One of my satellites refuses to show up as connected with the Router but still kind of works!

screwgauge
Aspirant

One of my satellites refuses to show up as connected with the Router but still kind of works!

I have a mesh of one router (RBR50) and 4 satellites (RBS50). I only see 3 satellites connected. I have tried everything on the 4th but it refuses to show up as a connected device. Also, I tried to factory reset it multiple times, but without any success.

Surprisingly, a Macbook connected via wired ethernet (I disabled wi-fi on this macbook) to this particular satellite does receive IP address from the router and connects to the Internet.

However, I see no signs that this particular Satellite is broadcasting its SSID and for some reason the router also doesn't think it exists.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: One of my satellites refuses to show up as connected with the Router but still kind of works!

@screwgauge wrote:

However, I see no signs that this particular Satellite is broadcasting its SSID and for some reason the router also doesn't think it exists.

Is this based on:

• The Orbi web browser management Attached Devices display, or...
  • The Orbi 'app' Network Map?  (Apple or Android?)

What application shows that the satellite is not broadcasting the Orbi SSID?

(for example, Android has several WiFi Analyzer apps that show the signal from each WiFi access point by MAC address.  Windows WiFi Info View also shows each access point by MAC address)

Message 2 of 4
screwgauge
Aspirant

Re: One of my satellites refuses to show up as connected with the Router but still kind of works!

I am looking at all the Mac addresses of my SSID and cannot see this particular mac address being broadcasted. I am checking through Wireless Diagnostics on Mac. I can see the other 3 satellites.

Also, when I connect my machine via Ethernet to the satellite, on the netgear console it shows as directly connected to the router.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Those are the diagnostic steps I would take.  You are correct, when connected with Ethernet, the Attached Devices web display should show the MacBook connected to the satellite.

When doing a Factory Reset on the satellite, what happens when you first power it off, wait for the Attached Devices display to say that it is Disconnected (takes a few minutes), click on Delete.  Then go through the Add a Satellite process.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7