Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ongoin Interruptions on Swisscom TV with Orbi RBK40

ogni65
Luminary

Ongoin Interruptions on Swisscom TV with Orbi RBK40

Since month i have freezes and interrupts on Swisscom TV 2.0.

I did all you can do and never found a solution.

The TV Signal freezes every x minutes or hours randomly and sometimes loosing Wifi completely.

Sometimes i can get it back by just changing the channel back and forth.

Yesterday i tried to get to the QOS Page and did activate it, but after a while freezes again.

No i did a last thing and disabled WMM on both frequencies and since i have done this, the freezes went away.

For sure this is not sustainable as it sets the signal to Wireless G speed in my home and instead of 300Mbit i´m down to 12Gbit or so.

It just could be a hint for Netgear, where to look for.

The latest FW did not help either. Mostly if i reinstall or reboot it works stable for a while until it starts freezing again.

One last thing! It works fine with the Swisscom Internet Box 2 Routers Wifi but having both on, does not work well as all devices connect to the Internet Box 2 instead to the orbi and my Satellite gets anyhow useless. I bought the orbi to get a better signal in some rooms away from the Internet Box 2.

So why does it work without freezes with WMM off and how do i get it work with full speed and still get no freezes here in Switzerland 🇨🇭?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the ISP modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

What version of FW is loaded on the router and satellite?

What is the distance between the router and satellite? Feet?

What is the distance between the router, satellite and TV?

Any wireless nieghbors near by? if so, how many?

What channels are you using on the Orbi router?

Try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming, reboot both satellite and router after saving changes.

Message 2 of 6
ogni65
Luminary

This does not answer my question.

Orbi has at the moment to Satellite connected as i did not want any influence from it.

Its just the Orbi as AP connected via Wan-Lan to my Router and no there are not a lot other Wireless Networks active. The Orbi is just 2m away from the Swisscom TV Box.

How do yo explain that freezes go away by changing the TV Channel?

Why the freezes go away on disabling WMM?

Why it works without freezes with my Routers Wifi but not with Orbis?

Does Orbi supports Multicast properly in all Standards?

Message 3 of 6
Zozzle
Aspirant

I'm not sure whether or not the orbi system supports multicast traffic. Anyways, I recommend to buy the WLAN-Box from Swisscom. It serves the same purpose of extending the WiFi and is well integrated with the Internet-Box 2 and the TV-Box: https://www.swisscom.ch/de/privatkunden/produkte/zubehoer/internet-tv-zubehoer/wlan-box.html
Cheers
Message 4 of 6
ogni65
Luminary

i know this Box and i wanted to avoid getting my throughput cut in half as it has no extra Channel as the Orbi has. Its also bound to the IB2 of Swisscom and does not work with any other routing solution. Its a closed environment. It works i could read but its a pitty that Netgear does not get its act together. Especially as i had a FW which worked and then the did upgrade my Box and the nightmare started again.
Message 5 of 6
ogni65
Luminary

Put it on the Lan gets a bit less interruptions but finaly i decided to sell the Orbi and go with the Wlan Box. It is slower because it has no extra Backchannel but it is stable.
My Swisscom TV is now connected to the Swisscom IB2 and works without hiccups.
Thanks to all in this Forum for your patience on Orbi, but there is to much hassles with this system and no more trust into Netgear.
It cost me to much time and nerves and the it works and Netgear breaks it again the next Firmware. Bye bye
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7