Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Open DNS with Orbi ROuter

CJ1941
Aspirant

Open DNS with Orbi ROuter

Hi -

Just went from a Nighthawk router to the Orbi RB50.  In the old router I forced the router to use the OpenDNS server and setup the same addresses with the Orbi router.  But the Orbi doesn't do any of the filtering I control with OpenDNS.  How do you setup the router to work with OpenDNS?  I really don't want to use the Circle parental filter offered (it's not free).  If there's any help out there, pls advise.  Thanks.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Open DNS with Orbi ROuter

@CJ1941 wrote:

How do you setup the router to work with OpenDNS?  I really don't want to use the Circle parental filter offered (it's not free).  If there's any help out there, pls advise.  Thanks.  

There are two ways to set up and configure an Orbi: (a) the Orbi "app" - which is slick, but "brain dead", and (b) using a web browser to open http://orbilogin.net.  The web interface menu item "Internet" provides a section to specify the DNS servers you with to use.  Just put in the IP's for Open DNS in the spaces provided.

Message 2 of 12
CJ1941
Aspirant

I put in the corrent OpenDNS IP addresses in the Orbi web app, just like I did with the Nighthawk, but it doesn't work doing that.  There's no OpenDNS filtering going on, so something is different with Orbi than Nighthawk and I don't know what's different that suddenly breaks what used to work just fine.  Any thoughts?

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

You are waaaay ahead of me on OpenDNS.

How does OpenDNS know that you have an "account"?

Is it by IP address.... or?

Message 4 of 12
LeapOfFaaaith
Aspirant

It give me an issue after a few days because ORBI doesn't allow me to keep the IP address dynamic. It only allows the Opendns servers to be entered if the IP address is static. Now, randomly, the whole system goes off line and I can't correct it remotely. I have to go to 192.168.1.1 on a physically attached computer to update the IP address so the system works again. All other router systems I have had do not seem to have this issue. Do you have any suggested solutions? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

Message 6 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

If I understand correctly you want to use OpenDNS servers for your DNS servers?

Under the Internet Setup page in the GUI, you should just be able to change to "Use These DNS Servers" and enter the IP addresses of the preferred DNS Servers. I run DNS tests and change DNS servers quite frequently, depending on DNS Benchmark ratings. I find the OpenDNS servers to be slower than others, like Level 3, Google, etc.. So maybe the OpenDNS servers are having traffic issues, causing you to lose connection. I just ran a DNS test and Open was at the bottom, as far as speed/reliability goes. Level 3 and Google are consistantly faster and at the top 2 to 3 fastest DNS Servers. 

If you want to test DNS servers:

Level 3: 4.2.2.1

Level 3: 4.2.2.2

Level 3: 4.2.2.4

Level 3: 4.2.2.5

Google: 8.8.8.8

Google: 8.8.4.4

OpenDNS: 208.67.220.123

OpenDNS: 208.67.220.220

OpenDNS: 208.67.220.222

Message 7 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

I believe this discussion began with using OpenDNS to filter web access.  (i.e. more than resolve URLs to IPs.)

Having never done this myself, I have a suspicion that this is a paid service that requires setting up an account and linking it to the subscriber's public IP address.  This is where the "static vs. dynamic IP" topic is introduced.  We can enter OpenDNS into the DNS field, but if the ISP changes our public IP, then OpenDNS will no longer tie DNS requests to our account and our filtering will disappear.

Or... I have missed the point entirely.

Message 8 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

I just read that.

OpenDNS has a free service for filtering. Netgear calls their setup Parental Controls. The name Parental Controls is confusing as NETGEAR Parental Controls isn’t just for home use.

Turn on Enhanced or Standard Parental Controls, Setup free OpenDNS account, if not done already, and setup Open DNS parental controls. Download and Install Genie and/or download the Circles App. (BTW Genie is a nice program for Windows and MAC and supports Orbi.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

I read that too but I installed the Windows version a week ago and I like it better than the WEB GUI. It still functions fine and looks good.

The WEB GUI takes you to the web page for Parental Coltrol when you click "Learn more" under standard Parental Control, on the Advanced/Parental controls page. And the Windows and Mac links are still there. I assume they have not updated the page. 

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah ok. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements