Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Open VPN does not have password.

erisen
Follower

Open VPN does not have password.

I setup my DDNS, Remote Management and VPN Service successfully.  All is working fine.  One concern I have is that the VPN does not have a username and password. One of the responses talks about "OpenVPN Access Server," but I could not tell how I get a start with that.  I used to have an ASUS router and it had username password setup.  

Can this be done with Orbi?  If not, can I use that router on my network perhaps to act as a VPN server?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Open VPN does not have password.

Technically, OpenVPN would allow auth-user-pass ... however, Netgear does (still) not have a local user management on thier consumer router (Nightawk, Orbi, Orbi Pro), the only account there is ... is admin (root), and that's not what you want to share or use for a VPN authentication (for multiple users). 

Note: You still need the valid certificate from your router - the username and password would make additional security.

Don't know anything about the Asus router OVPN config and if it would be available if configured as a wireless access point (you don't want a connection to "another" LAN behind the Asus, right?). All what would be allowed is handing the port forward for the OpenVPN server config in place on your other router on the LAN. That's one of thge big advantages of OpenVPN - no crazy protocols, just a simple port (mostly UDP).

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7