Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Open letter to Netgear...

Mayhugh1
Apprentice

Open letter to Netgear...

The Orbi was released over a year ago, and its firmware has evidently proven to be a more difficult task than originally envisioned by its design/management team. Not only has promised functionality not yet been implemented, but basic operation has been spotty for many and downright atrocious for others. Today, it's even difficult to tell how a marginal system is performing because even fundamental diagnostic information is still not working properly and can't be relied upon.
Netgear's policy of limiting free technical support to only three months to its customers would have been reasonable if the hardware arrived working. Three months is proving to be inadequate and in the light of the last couple of software releases it's totally inadequate especially when insufficiently tested automatic updates are forced upon unsuspecting users.
I'm sure Netgear is working to fix the Orbi's firmware because dissatisfied customers do nothing for the company's reputation. I really think, though, they need to extend free technical support to at least a year for this particular product, given what has/is going on, and they need to give the users the option of turning on/off automatic updates of the firmware in the user interface.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
larryindublin
Luminary

Re: Open letter to Netgear...

100% agree and the only thing keeping me with Orbi is that I bought my system t Costco and basically have "unlimited" return window. With uPNP turned off I haven't seen a single reboot for several days now (on 2.1.1.16). I do still see ALL my devices showing connecting to the main router when I login to the router, but know some devices are connected to the Satellite.

Message 2 of 3
tagteam
Virtuoso

Re: Open letter to Netgear...

Mayhugh1 wrote:
...give the users the option of turning on/off automatic updates of the firmware in the user interface.

Absolutely! Netgear provides the option to disable automatic firmware updates on (most, if not all, of) its other routers. I have no idea why the Orbi system is the exception in this regard (make "enable" the default and hide the option in advanced settings if the fear is some neophyte users will inadvertently disable it).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7