Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OpenDNS Parental Control

smilepak
Tutor

OpenDNS Parental Control

I just set this up on the Orbi. I configured the Netgear Parental Control via the website and set up the default profile along with a bypass portal with their individual rules. 

I have a few questions

1. How does the Parental Control bypass account work? Is it by default any devices connecting through the Orbi automatically get the default profile and any device needing a bypass need to install the Netgear Genie and log into the bypass account? For example, on the Windows computer, I install Netgear Genie and log into the bypass account on it. Thus allow me to use the rules to that bypass account? While on the iOS device, where I don't have any Netgear app install, by default it uses the default profile?

2. The orbi can't use the Netgear Genie and the Orbi app can't use the OpenDNS Parental Control, how would you use it on an iOS device?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @smilepak, welcome to the community! As previously announced on the link below Orbi will no longer support the Genie app.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/NETGEAR-Genie-App-No-Longer-Supported-on-Orbi-Effective-Jan-31...

Dexter

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @smilepak, welcome to the community! As previously announced on the link below Orbi will no longer support the Genie app.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/NETGEAR-Genie-App-No-Longer-Supported-on-Orbi-Effective-Jan-31...

Dexter

Message 2 of 5
smilepak
Tutor

What are the plan to update the Orbi app to support functionality the Netgear Genie support, like manage the parental control with OpenDNS?

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@smilepak wrote:

What are the plan to update the Orbi app to support functionality the Netgear Genie support, like manage the parental control with OpenDNS?

Same for the Nighthawk App please, too @DexterJB !

Message 4 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @smilepak and @schumaku, there is no update if that functionality will be added to either the Orbi or Nighthawk app due to the transition to Circle.

Dexter

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7