Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OpenVPN static IP - static MAC

IcewraithUK
Aspirant

OpenVPN static IP - static MAC

Hi

I’ve set up the OpenVPN server on my Orbi, and devices seem to connect ok, the challenge is they seem to get a new random MAC address each time, which means I can’t assign them a static IP and they keep getting added as new devices in Circle.

Any idea how I either get static IP or MAC for the OpenVPN clients?

Thanks
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 6
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi IcewraithUK,

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

It is strange that device randomly change its MAC address. Does it happen to a specific device or all devices connected to the network? Do you still see the issue if OpenVPN is disabled? How do you check the MAC address? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 6
IcewraithUK
Aspirant

Hi

It only happens to devices connecting via OpenVPN, anything on the network behaves as normal but any client (win/Mac/smart) connecting using the OpenVPN gets a random MAC address. This didn’t happen with my previous OpenVPN server on pfSense, so I can only imagine it’s something to do with the implementation on Orbi?

It’s driving my Circle setup nuts though, as each time I vpn in it thinks it’s a new device...

Message 4 of 6
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi IcewraithUK, 

How do you check the MAC address? What is the firmware version of the router?

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 5 of 6
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi IcewraithUK, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7