Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Opening Ports on Orbi Router

bwalder
Aspirant

Opening Ports on Orbi Router

Having problems loading programs on PlayStation 4.  This is their recommendation

If the basic connection troubleshooting steps haven’t solved the issue, you may need to open (forward) the PSN ports on your router.

Ports act as endpoints between two connections, and opening the specific PSN ports can help direct the flow of internet traffic between your PS4 and PlayStation Network.

IMPORTANT: If you’re not sure what this means, or you don’t know how to open ports on your router, we strongly recommend speaking to your ISP or router manufacturer before changing any settings on your router.

Try opening the following ports on your router, then let us know if it solved the problem.

TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
UDP: 3478, 3479

How do I do this on an ORBI?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Log into the RBRs web page and under Advanced Tab/Advanced settings you see Port Forwarding section. 

Message 2 of 7
bwalder
Aspirant

Router Firmware Version
V2.5.1.16

Using Cox as provider through Arris model Model TM3402a

I've been on the ORBI website but the port forwarding is way above my pay scale.  Have no idea how to do that.

Thanks for any guidance.

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@bwalder wrote:

Using Cox as provider through Arris model Model TM3402a

I've been on the ORBI website but the port forwarding is way above my pay scale.  Have no idea how to do that.

Thanks for any guidance.

The "good news" is that the Arris TM3402a is "only a modem" and thus will not interfere with opening ports on the Orbi.

You will need the IP address of the PlayStation.

Log into the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) using the admin credentials: "admin" and the admin password, which is not the same as the WiFi password or the Netgear community login password.

Click on the "Advanced" Tab.

Click on Advanced Setup

Click on Port Forwarding/Port Triggering

Click on the "Add Custom Service" button.

Enter a name that you like (maybe PlayStation)

Fill in the  the port range (3478-3480)

Select TCP/UDP

Fill in the IP address of the PlayStation or pick it from the list.

Click "Apply".

Message 4 of 7
bwalder
Aspirant

Thank you so much for the easy to follow instructions.  One question...it asks to select the service type.  Do I choose port forwarding or port triggering?

Many thanks!

Message 5 of 7
bwalder
Aspirant

Sorry....Never Mind.  Will see now if it works.

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@bwalder wrote:

Thank you so much for the easy to follow instructions.  One question...it asks to select the service type.  Do I choose port forwarding or port triggering?

Sorry. I have been away from the computer.  Port forwarding.

I neglected to mention that forwarding ports 80 and 443 seems unnecessary.  I do not think that the Orbi will forward port 443 because it is used for administrative access. 

Please comment on how things are going.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7