Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Optimum configuration for my wired property

SilverWinterSky
Aspirant

Optimum configuration for my wired property

I'm looking into how best to configure my new Orbi setup and would welcome some thoughts/comments.  I am not a networking/IT genius, but like to understand how things work and to make sure that they are set up in the best way possible.

My house is just over 6,000 sq ft on two floors. It is somewhat long and thin in shape. Construction is brick/traditional, with Cat6 to most rooms. Usage is normal family stuff, with kids streaming movies etc. We have a 100Mb leased line internet connection, and two NAS devices (one for cctv, one for general storage). I think I have determined the optimum locations for the three Orbi units, and am now considering how best to set the system up.

Having done a little reading, I think I can see three options:

1) straightforward wireless backhaul setup

2) wired backhaul via my (unmanaged) switch

3) wired backhaul bypassing the switch (ie using patch cables from the panel to link the Orbi units in "star topology")

Essentially I can choose options 1 or 3 from the diagrams below. My question is which configuration will be best and why?

Thank you in advance!

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 08.02.31.png

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Optimum configuration for my wired property

I use the wired Star configuration with a non-manged switch(several) in my 5000sq ft home. Just the router and 1 satellite is all. 40 feet between.

I recommend the wired backhaul with a non-managed switch. You'll be fine. Better connectivity and flexability with using a non-managed switch.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7